Date Formats

  1. #1
    Greenback
    Guest

    Date Formats

    I have a spreadsheet sent to me and it has a column of dates in the following
    format - mm/dd/yy
    I would like to change them to yyyy/dd/mm but I can't seem to change
    existing format. Any ideas on how this is done?

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Date Formats

    Maybe they aren't real Excel dates, but text. You can check with the ISTEXT() function.
    If they are:

    =DATE(RIGHT(A1,2)+2000,LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,4,2))
    and format as required

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3
    Greenback
    Guest

    Re: Date Formats

    Niek,thanks for the reply, but I am unsure of what you mean (not an expert on
    excel at all)...can you clarify?...thanks

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Date Formats

    Assume your date is in A1. In B1, enter this formula:

    =ISTEXT(A1)
    If you get TRUE as a result, than your date is no real Excel dat, but is text.
    In that case, enter the formula I suggested.
    In both cases, Format>Cells>Number tab, choose Date, and choose a format from the list that suits your needs.

    If no such format is in the list:

    Format>Cells>Number tab, choose Custom. In the Type box, enter "yyyy/dd/mm" (without the quotes)

    BTW, what do you see if you format the cell as General?

  5. #5

    Re: Date Formats

    Just because data looks like dates, doesn't make them dates.

    If you tried changing the format and the display didn't change, then Niek was
    guessing that your data isn't really a date. (A real date would show the change
    in format.)

    Niek suggested putting a formula into another column and creating the date that
    way from the cell with the "text date".

    Another way is to select that column of dates and do
    Data|Text to columns
    fixed width
    Don't add any lines and remove any that excel added
    choose mdy as the date format.

    This will convert that selection to real dates.

    Now you should be able to format those cells the way you want.

  6. #6
    Greenback
    Guest

    Re: Date Formats

    Dave/Nick....many thanks for you tips. I went with the Data/Text to Columns
    option and it worked a treat.