# signs where there shouldn't be....

  1. #1
    dramajuana
    Guest

    # signs where there shouldn't be....

    I have a simple spreadsheet that I've been building on for the past couple
    months, and I have a column with dates in it. It's formatted to do the date
    as 14-Aug (so that I can enter "8/14" and it changes it for me), but over the
    past few days, it's decided to display ##### instead of 14-Aug. When you
    double click the darn thing, it shows the date as 8/14/2006 like it always
    has, but everything I've tried won't make the pound signs go away when I'm
    just viewing the document. Any ideas?

    By the way, the document has 238 rows and counting, but I don't think the
    length should effect it....

  2. #2
    dramajuana
    Guest

    RE: # signs where there shouldn't be....

    Oh, and I have another date column right next to this one, and it has no
    problem showing the dates correctly.

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: # signs where there shouldn't be....

    Have you tried widening the column?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: # signs where there shouldn't be....

    It just means that the column is too narrow for the data to be
    displayed.

  5. #5
    MarkM
    Guest

    RE: # signs where there shouldn't be....

    Check the columns width, it sounds like the column is too narrow to display
    the text.

  6. #6
    dramajuana
    Guest

    Re: # signs where there shouldn't be....

    I have now. I feel stupid. Thanks. (Why the hell does it do that? In some of
    my other spreadsheets, it just shrinks the font so that it fits.... oh well.)

  7. #7
    Sloth
    Guest

    Re: # signs where there shouldn't be....

    "shrink to fit" is an option found in the Alignment Tab of Format Cells.
    Normally text will "run over" into the next cell (if empty), but numbers and
    dates are different; if there is not enough room, it displays pound signs
    instead. I assume this is because the data could easily be misinterpreted.
    Also, it is easy to spot that a word has been cut in half, but not a number.