How do I replace just a few characters?

  1. #1

    How do I replace just a few characters?

    Hello,
    I have an excel worksheet with a street name column. I need to rename some names from "Main Street" to "Main St". I can do it for one name easily with find and replace, but how do I make it work for an entire column of different names such as "Easy Street" and "Main Street". If I do find "* Street" and replace with "* ST" I get "* ST" for the output instead of "Easy ST"

    What am I missing?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Do exactly what you are doing. .but instead of pressing replace, press replace all.

    BTW.. do a replace on "STREET" with "ST"
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace just a few characters?

    Don't use the wildcard.

    Select the column and.......

    Replace what: Street

    Replace with: St.

    Works for me with a column of Main Street, Easy Street and similar.

    If you have a name like Street Street I don't know<g>

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Thanks for the quick reply

    When I say replace all it doesn't work for different names.
    But I found a work around. If I do space road " ROAD", replace with space rd " RD"then it will always find it because their is always a space between the street name and the suffix.