Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type num

  1. #1
    David Thyer
    Guest

    Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type num

    Often when I'm doing a quick mortgage spreadsheet, I enter the first couple
    of lines, then grow the range downwards by dragging the grow tool at the
    bottom right of the selected range. This works, but it is a bit of a pain
    when I am growing it to a large number of rows, as it often scrolls too far.
    It would be nice to be able to right-click on the grow tool (the square at
    the bottom right corner of the selected cell or range) and then type in a
    number of lines to grow.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Jaleel
    Guest

    RE: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type num

    Hi,

    If you are trying to copy down a formula to the end of the range, why not
    trying for a double click on the grow tool of the cell containing the
    formula? I feel this is what you wished to do.

  3. #3
    David Thyer
    Guest

    RE: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Hi Jaleel,

    Thanks for that suuggestion. It works if I first grow the list of values in
    Column A, month number, to the maximum value I want, e.g. 300 for 25 years.

    However, the case I most commonly have is where none of the columns extend
    down very far yet. Currently I select the whole bottom row, and then grow by
    dragging the grow tool. I could grow just column A by dragging the grow tool,
    then select the bottom row of the other columns, and then double click the
    grow tool as you suggest, but that still involves first manually growing a
    selection to 300 rows.

    If there was a way to automatically generate the month number column, up to
    a required value, then together with your double-click suggestion that would
    be a great solution, but I don't know any way to do that.

    Thanks again,

    David

  4. #4
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Try this:

    1) Go to the cell where you want the bottom of column A to be (say A1000).

    2) Go to A1001 and enter a period or some other marker.

    3) Navigate back to the top of the spreadsheet by CTRL + up arrow. Select
    the cell (assume in A1) whose contents you want to fill down. Press
    SHIFT+CTRL+Down Arrow+Enter and you're done.

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type num

    You can just about do that.

    Click in the cell containing the data or formula to copy.
    Click in the 'name box' (left of formula bar).
    Type in *last* cell address, say A300.
    Hold down <Shift> and hit <Enter>

    This selects the range, with the focus in your first, original cell.

    Now, to complete the copy,
    Hit <F2>,
    Then <Ctrl> <Enter>

    And you're done!
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    David Thyer
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Hi RagDyeR,

    Thanks for that. It doesn't seem to extend the range in quite the same way
    as growing it, just copies the last value, but by having a dummy first column
    using this method, and then double clicking for the real columns, as per
    Jaleel's suggestion, it gets me there.

    Thanks again,

    David

  7. #7
    David Thyer
    Guest

    RE: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Hi Dave F,

    I think I must be getting the SHIFT+CTRL+Down Arrow+Enter combination wrong,
    because it doesn't seem to create any new values.

    Thanks anyway,

    David

  8. #8
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Your terminology of "growing it" is unfamiliar to me.

    Can you relate to me what the procedure that I described does *not* do in
    "quite the same way" that your *growing it* does do?

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    David Thyer
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    For example, I type "Month" in A1 as a column heading. Then I type "1" into
    A2, and "2" into A3. Then I select the range A2:A3. Finally I drag the little
    square at the bottom right of the selection down for the required number of
    rows, and the new values generated into cells A4 downwards have increasing
    values, 3, 4, 5 etc. onwards.

    When I try what you suggested, I just get the value in the cell repeated,
    e.g. the value 2 repeated. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

    Thanks,

    David

  10. #10
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you were solely interested in
    *copying*.

    If we're talking about *filling*, there's a dialog box that can help you
    *fill* easily and quickly, if you're looking to go down a 1,000 rows or
    across a couple hundred columns, and accomplish this without having to
    "drag" the cells.

    Say you want to number the rows from A2 to A1002, from 1 to 1000.

    Enter 1 in A2 and click back in it to select it, then,
    <Edit> <Fill> <Series>
    Since you're filling down, click "Columns",
    Then "Step Value" = 1
    "Stop Value" = 1000
    Then <OK>
    And you're done!

  11. #11
    David Thyer
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Brilliant! Sorry for the confusion about filling vs. copying. The grow tool
    seems to extend series just by dragging.

    Many thanks,

    David

  12. #12
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Just for info............

    The "grow tool" is actually named "fill handle".

    But I kinda like grow tool also<g>

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  13. #13
    David Thyer
    Guest

    Re: Grow a range by # of lines by right click on grow tool & type

    Aha. That explains why when I searched the help for "fill handle" nothing
    came up!

    Using the words "fill handle" I've found a page headed "Fill data in
    worksheet cells" which looks very useful.

    Many thanks,

    David