input for external reference

  1. #1
    kspurgin
    Guest

    input for external reference

    I was wondering if there is a way to have an input for an external ref.
    within my excel joblist.

    i.e. set up of reference files
    c:\jobs\011\index.xls
    c:\jobs\012\index.xls
    c:\jobs\013\index.xls
    etc.
    I want to have an option in a list to input the job# and then it references
    that file:

    a1 would be a user input of a job number, for instance someone can inout 011
    and then b1:b10 would include info for c:\jobs\011\index.xls

    Is there a way of having the reference include a1 in the name?

  2. #2

    Re: input for external reference

    You'd want to use the =indirect() function, but that only works when the
    "sending" workbook is open.

    But Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a
    closed workbook.

    You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
    Look for pull.zip

    Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
    http://xcell05.free.fr/

    That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.