Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

  1. #1
    Bob H
    Guest

    Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

    Is there a way to highlight a portion of a phrase in an Excel cell and
    convert the phrase to capital letters (lower case to upper case), rather
    than retype the entire phrase? Also is it possible to highlight a portion
    phrase and have all the first letters of words convert from lower case to
    upper case? I have to go through an Excel document and convert sections of
    phrases to all upper case letters, I would rather not retype the entire
    section. I do not believe a formula will work as a portion of the cell must
    be all caps and a portion lower case or proper, and because the data has
    already been inputted.

    Thanks, Bob

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

    Characters Property
    See Also Applies To Example Specifics
    Returns a Characters object that represents a range of characters within the
    object text. You can use the Characters object to format characters within a
    text string.

    expression.Characters(Start, Length)

    expression Required. An expression that returns an object in the Applies
    To list.

    Start Optional Variant. The first character to be returned. If this
    argument is either 1 or omitted, this property returns a range of characters
    starting with the first character.

    Length Optional Variant. The number of characters to be returned. If this
    argument is omitted, this property returns the remainder of the string
    (everything after the Start character).

    Remarks
    The Characters object isn't a collection.

    For the TextFrame object, Characters is a method.

    Example
    This example formats the third character in cell A1 on Sheet1 as bold.

    With Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")
    .Value = "abcdefg"
    .Characters(3, 1).Font.Bold = True
    End With
    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

    A formula can change it from LOWER to UPPER at some point throughout, but I
    can't get it to change back to LOWER for the last part........

    =LEFT(A1,3)&UPPER(MID(A1,4,3)&LOWER(MID(A1,7,5)))
    abcdefghijk results in abcDEFGHIJK

    You could separate the parts into three columns, maybe using TextToColumns,
    and then do the formatting and then CONCATENATE them back together........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Bob H
    Guest

    Re: Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

    Ok, excuse my ignorance but maybe a reply could be dummied up a bit. The
    phrases in the cells are all of various lengths. I know with Microsoft Word
    I highlight the string then "Format - Change Case". Is there anything
    similar in Excel? What I have to do is re-format a list of businesses and
    property references. What I have now in each cell is something like this:

    jane's retail clothing ltd pr: jane smith

    What I have to turn it into is:

    JANE'S RETAIL CLOTHING LTD. pr: Jane Smith

    In total, I have roughly 1000 entries per volume (and there are 5 volumes
    left) to go through. It would be much easier for me if I could just
    highlight "jane's retail clothing ltd" and turn it into JANE'S RETAIL
    CLOTHING LTD

    thanks, Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

    see if this does what you want
    Sub uppercompanyname()
    For Each c In Range("f2:f5")
    c.Value = UCase(Left(c, InStr(c, ":")))
    Next c

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Changing Case in a Portion of a Cell

    Actually, the 1st one only gives the company and this ucases the company and
    gives you the rest.

    Sub uppersome()
    For Each c In Range("f2:f5")
    'c.Value = UCase(Left(c, InStr(c, ":")))
    x = InStr(c, ":")
    c.Value = UCase(Left(c, InStr(c, ":"))) & Right(c, Len(c) - x)
    Next c

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]