show rows on screen, but not print them

  1. #1
    Troy Piggins
    Guest

    show rows on screen, but not print them

    On a spreadsheet in excel from office xp, is it possible to
    display a row on the screen, but when you print the sheet it
    doesn't get printed? How do I do that?

    I tried hiding the row, but the admin wants to be able to see it
    on screen and complained too tedious to unhide it on screen then
    hide it for printing.

    I have never written macros for excel so not sure if there is a
    solution there, or if it can be done another way.

    I also thought we could have the data from the row in another
    sheet that doesn't get printed, but she (the admin) preferred the
    hide/unhide solution.

    Any help appreciated.

    --
    Troy Piggins

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: show rows on screen, but not print them

    Troy Piggins wrote:
    > On a spreadsheet in excel from office xp, is it possible to
    > display a row on the screen, but when you print the sheet it
    > doesn't get printed? How do I do that?
    >
    > I tried hiding the row, but the admin wants to be able to see it
    > on screen and complained too tedious to unhide it on screen then
    > hide it for printing.
    >
    > I have never written macros for excel so not sure if there is a
    > solution there, or if it can be done another way.
    >
    > I also thought we could have the data from the row in another
    > sheet that doesn't get printed, but she (the admin) preferred the
    > hide/unhide solution.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Hi Troy,

    You don't need macros.

    You can define two custom views from menu View, Custom Views. First unhide
    the rows, then define a custom view and name it as Screen, then hide the
    rows and define a new custom view and name it Print.

    In this way you can easily switch between the two views.

    You can also add to a Command bar the Custom Views button to switch between
    the views in a simpler way: right click on a command bar, click on
    Customize, choose the Commands tab, under Categories select View, then under
    Commands select the Custom Views button and drag & drop on yuor preferred
    bar, then click on Close.

    In this way you can very easily switch between your cstom views.

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Troy Piggins

    * Franz Verga wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >> On a spreadsheet in excel from office xp, is it possible to
    >> display a row on the screen, but when you print the sheet it
    >> doesn't get printed? How do I do that?
    >>
    >> I tried hiding the row, but the admin wants to be able to see it
    >> on screen and complained too tedious to unhide it on screen then
    >> hide it for printing.
    >>
    >> I have never written macros for excel so not sure if there is a
    >> solution there, or if it can be done another way.
    >>
    >> I also thought we could have the data from the row in another
    >> sheet that doesn't get printed, but she (the admin) preferred the
    >> hide/unhide solution.

    > You don't need macros.
    >
    > You can define two custom views from menu View, Custom Views. First unhide
    > the rows, then define a custom view and name it as Screen, then hide the
    > rows and define a new custom view and name it Print.
    >
    > In this way you can easily switch between the two views.
    >
    > You can also add to a Command bar the Custom Views button to switch between
    > the views in a simpler way: right click on a command bar, click on
    > Customize, choose the Commands tab, under Categories select View, then under
    > Commands select the Custom Views button and drag & drop on yuor preferred
    > bar, then click on Close.
    >
    > In this way you can very easily switch between your cstom views.

    Thankyou Franz. I'll play with that and see how it goes.

    --
    Troy Piggins

  4. #4
    here
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: show rows on screen, but not print them

    Custom Views, works perfect - Thanks