Assign value to a variable name

  1. #1

    Assign value to a variable name

    Hello. I am creating an Excel workbook for scheduling and billing tutored students. One sheet contains the schedule, another the students and their rate, and the last the teachers and their rate. The rates won't be visible in the schedule sheet, only the student and teacher names. Therefore, I need to assign the value of the rate to the name as though the name were a variable. If the values were updated they would need to update on the schedule sheet too, where the final calculating happens. This is complicated by the fact that students and teachers can be moved to any time slot.

    I looked at "Linked Objects" but saw nothing about assigning values to a variable name. If it is possible, how would I do it?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Assign value to a variable name

    you can assign the cells which contain the rates a name and refer to that
    name in formula.There are restrictions tho

    Guidelines for names
    What characters are allowed? The first character of a name must be a letter,
    an underscore character (_), or a backslash (\). Remaining characters in the
    name can be letters, numbers, periods, and underscore characters.

    Can names be cell references? Names cannot be the same as a cell reference,
    such as Z$100 or R1C1.

    Can more than one word be used? Yes, but spaces are not allowed. Underscore
    characters and periods may be used as word separators — for example,
    Sales_Tax or First.Quarter.

    How many characters can be used? A name can contain up to 255 characters.

    Note If a name defined for a range contains more than 253 characters, you
    cannot select it from the Name box.

    Are names case sensitive? Names can contain uppercase and lowercase letters.
    Microsoft Excel does not distinguish between uppercase and lowercase
    characters in names. For example, if you have created the name Sales and then
    create another name called SALES in the same workbook, the second name will
    replace the first one.

    --
    paul
    [email protected]