Matching & retrieving data across sheets

  1. #1

    Matching & retrieving data across sheets

    Hi

    I have a small problem, one that is probably fairly simple to solve but i hardly ever use excel in depth! I am trying to create a little workbok to facilitate an ordering procedure, it has a stock database on one sheet, and i want to be able to type an id no. into the first sheet, and that to retrieve all data for that id in the second sheet. IE so if i put in a value of 25, the product with the id of 25 will appear in the cells next to it, showing stock description, price etc. This is then repeated down to create an order sheet. I have worked out how this works using an index and match formula, but my problem is that i need a user friendly way of inputting the ID in the first place.

    Ideally there would be an add button which brought up a parameter input field, which you type the number into, and then that creates a new row, puts in the formula and adjusts the code of it to suit the parameter, but not only have i forgotten how to do this, the final sheet needs to go on a pda with pocket excel, so i cant use any VB etc as it wont work with pocket excel.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Nick

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Matching & retrieving data across sheets

    Assuming your order form is something like the example below with data
    starting in A2:

    Product ID Product Description Product Price .......
    25

    In Product Description cell (B2):

    =IF(A2<>"",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Stock!A2:D100,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A2,Stock!A2:D100,2,FALSE)))

    In Product Price cell (C2):

    =IF(A2<>"",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Stock!A2:D100,3,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A2,Stock!A2:D100,3,FALSE)))

    Copy these down as far as required

    Your "Stock" DB would like

    Col
    A .... Product ID
    B ......Product Description
    C .... Product Price
    D .....

    You can just enter your IDs in colum A and it would automatically fill in
    the other data.

    If number of products is small, you could use Data Validation (in column A)
    with your Product IDs as the input list.

    HTH

  3. #3

    Re: Matching & retrieving data across sheets

    Typo alert.

    I think Toppers wants an extra "" at the far right:

    =IF(A2<>"",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Stock!A2:D100,2,FALSE)),"",
    VLOOKUP(A2,Stock!A2:D100,2,FALSE)),"")

    So FALSE won't be returned when a2 = "".

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Matching & retrieving data across sheets

    Thanks Dave ... well spotted!