Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Disabling "wrap text" neuters alt-return line feeds within cell

  1. #1

    Disabling "wrap text" neuters alt-return line feeds within cell

    Hello,

    The online help for Microsoft Excel 2003 says to disable wrap-text in
    order not to have wrapping of long lines within cells. However, doing
    this also turns line feeds into non-line-feed characters (some kind of
    strange symbol serving as a place-holder for the linefeed). I only
    want to disable wrapping of long lines, I don't want to remove the
    effect of hard coded line feeds. How is this done in Excel? (If it
    can't be done, that would also be helpful to know). Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: Disabling "wrap text" neuters alt-return line feeds within cell

    If you have wraptext enabled, then you'll get a new line within the cell for
    each alt-enter. And excel will break any line that's too long whereever it
    wants.

    If you turn off wraptext, then the alt-enters will appear as little squares.

    But there isn't a middle ground.

  3. #3

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > If you have wraptext enabled, then you'll get a new line within the cell for
    > each alt-enter. And excel will break any line that's too long whereever it
    > wants.
    >
    > If you turn off wraptext, then the alt-enters will appear as little squares.
    >
    > But there isn't a middle ground.

    Thanks, Dave.

    Fred

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > The online help for Microsoft Excel 2003 says to disable wrap-text in
    > > order not to have wrapping of long lines within cells. However, doing
    > > this also turns line feeds into non-line-feed characters (some kind of
    > > strange symbol serving as a place-holder for the linefeed). I only
    > > want to disable wrapping of long lines, I don't want to remove the
    > > effect of hard coded line feeds. How is this done in Excel? (If it
    > > can't be done, that would also be helpful to know). Thanks.

    > --
    >
    > Dave Peterson

Closed Thread