Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

  1. #1
    Greg
    Guest

    Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

    Hi,

    I was wondering whether someone could give me a hand with this formula,
    or whats wrong with this formula:

    =sumif('Parts&Product Numbers'!D$3:D$500,Stock!A32,'Parts&Product
    numbers'!E$3:E$500)

    The formula works, but it doesnt pull the information i want in column
    e (at the end of the formula). In column E i have three variables:

    8400
    8500/8550
    8400/8500/8550

    the formula only returns the 8400 variable, it doesn't seem to like the
    / , or any other form of punctuation. Please could someone tell me how
    it can return these variables with their attached /.

    thank you

    Greg.

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

    what are you actually trying to acheive?
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

    =SUMIF (SUM) will ignore the data with / as it treats it as non-numeric.

    Do you actual want to SUM these numbers or return them as a string?

    Given (only) the three cells below, what do you want returned?

    8400
    8500/8550
    8400/8500/8550

  4. #4
    Greg
    Guest

    Re: Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

    Thanks for you reply.

    In column E there could be those three variables all the way down and
    intechangeable eg.

    E3 = 8400
    E4= 8400/8500
    E5-= 8400
    E6= 8400/8500/8550
    etc etc etc

    So my formula now (the one I wrote before), works. But, it only pulls
    in 8400. I want it to pull in whatever is in that cell. It doesn't
    appear to like 8400/8500 or 8400/8500/8550. If it is either one of the
    two variables with a slash it returns 0. when it should theoretically
    recall exactly what is in that cell (in the E column).

    Is that any clearer?

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Greg
    Guest

    Re: Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

    I guess I am not really askign it to sum but to pull that specific
    cell's entry, so yes the string would be good, as long as it returns
    exactly what is in that cell.

    Cheers,

  6. #6
    Greg

  7. #7
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Problem with formula/doesn't pull data with slash (/)

    Try VLOOKUP:

    =VLOOKUP(Stock!A32,'Parts&Product Numbers'!D$3:E$500,2,0)

    Will match A32 against D3:D500 and pull matched value i.e same row, from
    E3:E500.

    If there is more than one match, it will only retrieve first one it finds.

    HTH