excel to figure miles per gallon

  1. #1
    Terri
    Guest

    excel to figure miles per gallon

    Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am trying to make a spreadsheet to
    figure out my miles per gallon on my new vehicle. The problem is ...I am
    buying fuel by the liter and distance is in kilometers. I don't want
    kilometers per liter, I would rather have miles per gallon.
    Can anyone help me figure this out.
    Thanks in advance,
    Terri

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: excel to figure miles per gallon

    Terri,

    The conversions are:

    1 kilometer = 0.621371192 miles

    1 liter = 0.264172051 gallons

    To perform the calculation, assume that you started your trip with 50 liters
    of gas and drove 500 kilometers. The calculation to get miles per gallon
    would be:

    = ( 500 kilometers x .621371192 miles / 1 kilometer ) / (50 liters *
    ..264172051 gallons / 1 liter )

    The kilometers and liters cancel each other out in the equation leaving you
    with:

    = 23.52 miles / gallon

    To set this up in your spreadsheet, you can try something like this . . .
    put the title "kilometer" in cell A1 and miles in cell A2. Add "1" to cell
    A3 and "0.621371192" to cell B3. For this example, add the number "500" to
    cell A2. Then add this formula to cell B2: =A2/A3*B3

    kilometer miles
    500 310.685596
    1 0.621371192

    You should get the numbers above. In another part of your sheet, do a
    similar conversion calculation for gallons:

    liter gallons
    50 13.20860255
    1 0.264172051

    Finally, divide the results to get the answer:

    23.52145845

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: excel to figure miles per gallon

    One way:

    A1: <km>
    A2: <l>

    A3: =CONVERT(A1,"km","mi")/CONVERT(A2,"l","gal")

    or, equivalently

    A3: =A1/A2 * 2.35265763970752

  4. #4
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    The conversion is different if you're talking about litres to Imperial gallons.
    Instead of:
    1 litre = 0.2642
    Use:
    1 litre = 0.2200

    Handy converter site:
    http://gocanada.about.com/library/nmetric.htm

  5. #5
    Terri
    Guest

    Re: excel to figure miles per gallon

    Thankyou to JE and John,
    I tried John's but I got a different result than he. I got
    1.6414892...instead of 23.52145845, not sure what I did. Then I tried JE's.
    I had already started a spreadsheet and just added his formula
    =A1/A2*2.35265763970752. (Just not sure what the 2.3526576370752 number
    represents.) In my spreadsheet, I am trying to do an Average of miles per
    gallon. Everytime I purchase fuel, I record the odometer reading, # of liters
    , and $$ per liter. I think everything worked out ok, but not sure how to
    figure out the first fuel purchase. Maybe I can send one of you the file, so
    you can have a look at it.
    Thanks, Terri

  6. #6
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    The figure 2.35265763970752 is derived from dividing the conversion factor for:

    1 kilometer = 0.621371192 miles

    by the conversion factor for:

    1 liter = 0.264172051 gallons

    0.621371192 / 0.264172051 = 2.35265763970752

    litres/kilometre * 2.35265763970752 = miles/gallon

  7. #7
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    Re: excel to figure miles per gallon

    Terri,

    I've posted an example of how you might build your calculation on my web
    site today. You can view it at http://www.pdbook.com.

    Although the example calculates MPG per fuel purchase, you can easily modify
    it to calculate average MPG over some range using the same logic.

    Also, you might consider using JE's suggestion as the one formula involves
    less steps.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  8. #8
    Terri
    Guest

    Re: excel to figure miles per gallon

    Thankyou John, this was very helpful.
    You 'all' do a wonderful job of helping others.
    Thanks again,
    Terri