help with using Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    Amit
    Guest

    help with using Conditional Formatting

    Hi,
    I'm trying to set up conditional formating in my spreadsheet such that if
    the value in column E is 100% that row should be colored with gray. No
    matter what I try I can't seem to get this to work. Any help will be
    appreciated.
    Thanks
    Amit

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: help with using Conditional Formatting

    Try this experiment:

    Select say, rows 2 to 5
    (select the row headers on the left)

    Click Format > Conditional Formatting
    Under Condition 1:
    Formula Is | =$E2=1
    Click Format button > Patterns tab > Gray > OK
    Click OK at the main dialog

    Test by inputting into col E
    (except E1, which is not covered)

    Input in E3: 100%
    (or the number "1")
    the entire row3 should be filled with gray color

    Clear E3, the color disappears ...
    And so on

    Adapt to suit ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Amit
    Guest

    Re: help with using Conditional Formatting

    That did it. The key was to use $E2. Thanks very much!
    -amit

    news:exZ%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: help with using Conditional Formatting

    Glad to hear that !
    Thanks for feedback ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: help with using Conditional Formatting

    Amit

    Select rows(not cells) to Format.

    Then Format>Cells>Formula is =$E1=1

    Pick a gray color from the Format dialog and OK your way out.

    NOTE: the dollar sign($) in $E1 must be entered.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP