Sum of all formulas in one column?

  1. #1
    Claudia
    Guest

    Sum of all formulas in one column?

    Is there some automatic way to make Excel total all of the cells containing
    formulas in a column? I know about the Subtotals feature, and being a new
    user, I can't quite figure out how to work it. I got to thinking if there is
    some easy formula that SUMs the results of all formulas in the same column,
    that would do exactly what I want it to do. Right now, all I'm doing to
    create a grand total is creating a formula manually to give me my grand
    total, i.e. =SUM(C5,C11,C18). However, if I'm going to add rows with
    subtotals in between each of my categories, I'll have to manually add the
    cell address of the new formula into the grand total formula. Is there a
    nice, automatic way that I'm not finding, to do this, so that any new cell
    with results in it is automatically added to the grand total?

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Sum of all formulas in one column?

    You really want to go with SUBTOTAL

    If you use the SUBTOTAL function with the SUM argument of 9 to do all your
    totals within the column, eg the formulas within C5,C11,C18 which would
    probably be

    =SUBTOTAL(9,C1:C4) ( Same result in this case as =SUM(C1:C4) )
    =SUBTOTAL(9,C6:C10) ( Same result in this case as =SUM(C6:C10) )
    =SUBTOTAL(9,C12:C17) ( Same result in this case as =SUM(C12:C17) )
    respectively

    Then by using =SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A18) it will sum all of that range EXCEPT any
    other SUBTOTAL formula in that range, so you avoid the double count.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...