New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...How?

  1. #1
    Blake
    Guest

    New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...How?

    I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
    an Excel spreadsheet. I know how to add the contents of a column down that
    column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
    the spreadsheet. I want to be able to add columns to get a result
    (P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract. Anyone
    offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...How?

    Hi Blake
    To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column.
    eg, In C1 put =A1+B1
    to multiply =A1*B1
    To Subtract =A1-B1
    To Divide =A1/B1

    Once these columns are done you can SUM/Divide, etc, the totals down the page

    HTH
    Michael

  3. #3
    Blake
    Guest

    RE: New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...

    Okay, that I can do. Now, how may I write this formula so that the addition
    will automatically happen all the way down the column? (ie. in column R, I
    want the addition of P1+Q1 and P2+Q2 to be added all the way down column R).
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...

    Once you have written the first formula in say R1. Click on the little black
    box in the bottom right corner of R1 and drag it down as far as you need to,
    and excel will transfer the formula down for you.

    Michael

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    You may find this "Basics in Excel" tutorial website handy: http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/ Add the site to your favourites.