workbook protection

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    workbook protection

    hi, im doing the advanced ecdl speadsheets on officexp excel. Theres one
    thing that i dont understand. When i goto Tools, Protection, Protect
    Workbook and then apply protection to the Structure and Windows and choose
    my passwords, why is it that im still able to modify cells, delete formulas,
    insert columns and rows etc? The only thing i cant do is insert a
    worksheet. Im confused as applying protection in the same way for
    Worksheets gives me more protection than applying protection in a workbook
    using the Tools.

    Any advice on this matter is appreciated

    John

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: workbook protection

    Hi John

    worksheet and workbook protection are two completely different things.
    in brief:
    - worksheet protection protects the contents of the sheet - and is applied
    on a sheet by sheet basis
    - workbook protection protects the structure of the workbook

    so basically, if you just apply worksheet protection you can stop people
    deleting / overtyping your formulas but they can still delete the sheet -
    workbook protection is necessary to stop them deleting the sheet.

    So in most cases you need to apply worksheet protection to each sheet to
    protect its contents AND workbook protection to protect the book itself.

    hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...