Need Help linking worksheets

  1. #1
    Carolly
    Guest

    Need Help linking worksheets

    I recently took a part-time job as bookkeeper for an organization where I
    need to be able to print a report on demand of current finances. I have a
    workbook with 3 sheets. The first one is the General Ledger Report, 2nd,
    receipts, and 3rd, lists the disbursements. My general ledger is: Begin.
    Bal. plus Receipts minus Disburs, plus or minus transfers =ending balance.
    The Ledger is listed by categories while the other two sheets are entered by
    the date each action occurs. Although I have used Excel for some time, I have
    only dealt with the simpler formulas and have never linked sheets together in
    a workbook. Is it possible to link the receipts and disbursements to the
    General Ledger so that every time I make an entry, it will reflect in my
    General Ledger report? Any info will be appreciated. Using Excel 2003 SP1

  2. #2
    Naz
    Guest

    RE: Need Help linking worksheets

    Hi there,

    Say for example you wanted to add the contents of cell A1 in each of the 3
    worksheets all you do is enter the equal sign = and then click cell A1 in the
    first sheet, enter the + sign, then click cell A1 in the second sheet, +,
    cell A1 in the third sheet. Then press enter when you have finshed and it
    will add the contents of all three cells in each work sheet.

    To use a cell in a different sheet to the one you are in you just goto that
    sheet and select it.

    Hope that helps,

    Naz,
    London

  3. #3
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Need Help linking worksheets

    Carolly
    Another way is to use VBA (automation). I have found that VBA is the
    most versatile way to do these kinds of things. Post back if this interests
    you. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Carolly
    Guest

    RE: Need Help linking worksheets

    Thanks Naz, your answer got me started, however, my formulas are becoming
    very long. This is what I am trying to do. My first sheet shows a beginning
    balance with receipts, and disbursements and ends with a remaining balance .
    I have several catagories, for instance one being Building Fund. Each
    catagory has a number code. My next worksheet has my receipts listed by date
    with the same code for Building fund that I used in my first sheet,and third
    worksheet has the check amounts written in each catagory with same code used
    for building fund. What I need is for everytime I enter a check I have
    written on the Building Fund that it would automatically be added to my
    disbursements on the first sheet, and the same thing for when I enter a
    deposit for the B.F. it would add to receipts on the first worksheet. What I
    am now doing is everytime I make an entry, hitting f2 and +, then going to
    each worksheet and entering in the cell. As this is a monthly report, I will
    have to do this 25 or 30 times for each code catagory. I hope I am making
    sense but wonder if there's an easier way, possibly with a formula using the
    code?

  5. #5
    Carolly
    Guest

    Re: Need Help linking worksheets

    Thanks Otto but unfortunately I know absolutely nothing aabout VBA.

  6. #6
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Need Help linking worksheets

    Carolly
    This is the process by which you learn. I didn't know anything about
    VBA either, until I learned. If you wish, send me, direct, a small file
    showing what you have and the layout of it, and what you want to happen when
    you do what you do. I'll work with you and between you and me we'll come up
    with something you can use. My email address is [email protected].
    Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH Otto