Adding to a range in a reference?

  1. #1
    LilaDuncan
    Guest

    Adding to a range in a reference?

    I'm modifying an existing workbook. One of my drop down lists has its
    text options provided by means of a 'Defined Name': Choices.
    The Name 'Choices' refers to the text items in a group of adjacent
    cells, in a row, on another worksheet called 'Info'. The reference is a
    range: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7

    I want to add an extra item of text to increase the number of options
    in the drop down list. So as not to disturb the location of cells
    defined by other references, I tried to append the new cell downwards
    from the group in the row.
    I tried this: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,$D$8

    It didn't work so I went for the range extending
    option:='Info'!$D$7:$I$7
    This worked OK but it's using the 'I' column which was a spacer between
    another block of data. So, if I want to add more options later I'll
    have to go elsewhere to avoid messing up other absolute references.

    Please can anyone explain the syntax used for adding a remote cell
    location to the original range:='Info'!$D$7:$H$7?
    TIA
    Lila Duncan

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Adding to a range in a reference?

    You can use the union operator "," to add to a named range, but it
    should be fully qualified:

    ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,'Info'!$D$8

    That won't help you, though, since range references used in validation
    dropdowns must refer to a single row or column.

  3. #3
    LilaDuncan

    JE McGimpsey wrote:
    > You can use the union operator "," to add to a named range, but it
    > should be fully qualified:
    >
    > ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,'Info'!$D$8

    Thanks, I'll remember that.

    > That won't help you, though, since range references used in
    > validation dropdowns must refer to a single row or column.

    I was *almost* on the right track then. :-)

    So, Data>Validation>Settings>Allow:List>Source:=Choices,=Choices2
    where 'Choices2' provides the information from the additional remote
    cell, wouldn't work either?

    Perhaps I should learn to add rows and columns where needed in
    workbooks with lots of pre-existing absolute references (it may be
    easier than I currently envisage).

    Thanks very much for the reply. I do have some manuals and other
    documentation but I'm at the early stage where I still don't know the
    appropriate keywords to do an effective index search.

    Regards and best wishes,

    Lila Duncan