Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Excel Macro Question about Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    David Britton via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Excel Macro Question about Conditional Formatting

    I have a cell that is colored according to a conditional formatting
    statement. I want to copy the color to another cell using a macro but I
    can't find the property. In particular, Range.Interior.ColorIndex is NOT
    set. I can examine the colors using Range.FormatConditions(index)
    ..Interior.ColorIndex but I can't tell what value to use for "index" (a
    conditional format has up to 3 conditions and thus index is a number
    between 1 and 3 but I don't know which one is currently active).

  2. #2
    Guest

    Excel Macro Question about Conditional Formatting

    hi,
    you are coping the conditional format to the other cell.
    if the condition isn't there then the color wont show.
    if you want the color in the other cell then best just set
    the color.
    range("a1").interior.colorindex = 42
    if you don't know the color indexs then in a blank
    workbook past the folowing in a module. save it for future
    reference.
    Sub macGetColors()
    ' Macro written 2/10/02 by FSt1
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    Range("B2").Select
    Set ci = Range("A1")
    ci.Value = 1
    Set c = Range("B2")
    Do Until ci > 56
    Set c2 = c.Offset(1, 0)
    Set cnum = c.Offset(0, 1)
    c.Interior.ColorIndex = ci.Value
    c.Offset(0, 1) = ci.Value
    ci.Value = ci.Value + 1
    Set c = c2
    c.Select
    Loop

    End Sub

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Excel Macro Question about Conditional Formatting

    Chip Pearson has code for working with conditional formatting colours:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

    David Britton via OfficeKB.com wrote:
    > I have a cell that is colored according to a conditional formatting
    > statement. I want to copy the color to another cell using a macro but I
    > can't find the property. In particular, Range.Interior.ColorIndex is NOT
    > set. I can examine the colors using Range.FormatConditions(index)
    > .Interior.ColorIndex but I can't tell what value to use for "index" (a
    > conditional format has up to 3 conditions and thus index is a number
    > between 1 and 3 but I don't know which one is currently active).

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  4. #4
    David Britton via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Excel Macro Question about Conditional Formatting

    Thanks for the pointers. Bottom line is that you can't do it. Chip
    Pearson's marco's parse the formulae and test which condition is set but,
    as noted, this won't work unless the formula have absolute references. I
    have many hundred different cells who's colour is set according to a
    conditional format statement which include relative references to
    neighbouring cells, and it is impractical to convert these to absolute
    references. Seems very odd to me that you can't access this information.

Closed Thread