need formula for percent off of column

  1. #1
    JB
    Guest

    need formula for percent off of column

    I know nothing about this and I am in a pickle. I don't even know where to
    type in the formula, so please spell it out for me in kindergarten language.
    I need a formula that will figure a percentage off.

    I have a column that is Retail Price and I need a formula that will auto
    fill 15% off the retail price of each cell in the previous column.

    I hope I am explaining this correctly.

    Thanks,
    JB

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    I know nothing about this and I am in a pickle. I don't even know where to
    type in the formula, so please spell it out for me in kindergarten language.
    I need a formula that will figure a percentage off.

    I have a column that is Retail Price and I need a formula that will auto
    fill 15% off the retail price of each cell in the previous column.

    I hope I am explaining this correctly.

    Thanks,
    JB

    I hope I understand your post clearly. Assume that your Retail Price column is column B (let's say from Cell B1 to Cell B100). And if you need 15% off the retail price of each to appear in the previous column (column A), then this is your procedure:

    In Cell A1, enter this formula

    =0.85*B1

    and copy down up to Cell A1.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: need formula for percent off of column

    Since 100% is equal to one, 15% off can be represented as 100%-15%, or
    1-15%, so if your retail price is in column A:

    B1: =A1 * (1-15%)

    which is also equivalent to

    B1: =A1 * 85%

    You can copy that formula in B1 down as far as necessary.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    need formula for percent off of column

    Hi!

    Assume your current retail price list is in the range
    A1:A10.

    In cell B1 enter this formula:

    =A1-A1*.15

    With cell B1 still selected use your mouse and point to
    the little black square in the bottom right of the cursor.
    The fat "+" sign will change to a skinny "+" sign. Left
    click and hold then drag copy the formula down to A10.

    Biff

  5. #5
    Gordon

    JE McGimpsey wrote:
    > Since 100% is equal to one, 15% off can be represented as 100%-15%, or
    > 1-15%, so if your retail price is in column A:
    >
    > B1: =A1 * (1-15%)

    S/be =A1 * (1-0.15)

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(9 days and counting!)

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: need formula for percent off of column

    Works either way.

  7. #7
    JB
    Guest

    Re: need formula for percent off of column

    GREAT! Thanks so much!