multiplication in an Excell Spreadsheet

  1. #1
    KiaOra
    Guest

    multiplication in an Excell Spreadsheet

    I am having difficulty in multiplying 285 units by 5.960 p. per unit. Can
    anyone help me solve this problem please?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Put your 5.960 in A1 (then click on Format / Cells / Number tab of Format Cells panel and click on Number - set the Decimal places to 3 then click OK. Put your 285 in B1, and in C1 put this formula: =A1*B1 and press enter. To change the resulting figure of 1698.6 to £1,698.60, format D1 as Currency, and 2 decimal places.

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: multiplication in an Excell Spreadsheet

    With 285 in cell A1 and 5.96 in cell A2, in cell A3 put =A1*A2

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: multiplication in an Excell Spreadsheet

    LiaOra,

    If the reason is that you have 5.960p in the Per Unit column then the 'p' is
    making the whole entry text and you can't do maths on text. If you wish to
    keep the entry as it is then with the unit price in B1 try:

    =A2*--(LEFT(B2,LEN(B2)-1))

    but it would be much more logical if you simply removed the 'p'

    HTH

    Sandy
    --
    to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk