Adding a KeyID column for sorting

  1. #1
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Adding a KeyID column for sorting

    Hi. I'm using MS Windows XP (Home) and Excel 2003. I have a worksheet with
    five columns and about 10,000 rows. I intend to do a lot of sorting on these
    columns. However, I want to be absolutely certain that the original order is
    always maintained (why I'm not using MS Access is a long story -- suffice it
    to say that I need to use Excel). So after I do a sort and perform a few
    tasks I want to click on a KeyID column and see the original order that I had
    before the sorting. Occasionally I will add a few rows of new material --
    say between rows 100 and 120, or between 3330 and 3340. Here are my newbie
    questions: First, how do I create a KeyID column (so the rows are numbered
    [automatically?] from say 1 to 10,000 or to the last row in the worksheet)?
    Second, how to I renumber the column when new rows are entered amid the
    original worksheet? To repeat: after sorting I want to return to the
    original order, so I have to be very careful not to mess things up. Also,
    did I read some where that worksheets have a tendency to become somewhat
    unstable after many sorts? Could someone please give me some detailed
    information about this? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Adding a KeyID column for sorting

    Assuming you have data in all your rows with no blanks, then insert a column
    at the start of your data, in cell A1 put 1, in cell A2 put 2, in cell A3
    put 3. Select A1:A3, then hover your mouse over the bottom right of the
    cell A3 where you will see a small black cross - Double click this and your
    series should automatically extend to the end.

    If you add new rows then put a dummy number in the keyfield (anything as
    long as it isn't blank) then go back and repeat step 1.

    MAKE SURE when sorting that you select ALL the data before sorting, else you
    may sort just one of the columns and lose all linkage to the rest of the
    data.

    Very very safest way is to MAKE A BACKUP COPY NOW, before you do anything
    :-)

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Adding a KeyID column for sorting

    I hope the OP didn't mean that rows are inserted *after* the first sort, and
    *before* the "return to normal" sort.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Adding a KeyID column for sorting

    hehehehe - me hopes you are correct :-)

    --
    Regards
    Ken.......................

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hope the OP didn't mean that rows are inserted *after* the first sort,

    and
    > *before* the "return to normal" sort.
    > --
    > Regards,