Newbie Question: Data/Sort

  1. #1

    Newbie Question: Data/Sort

    I used Excel to organize a table of data (<50 entries). Column A uses
    decimal numbering 1, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3, etc. The data was entered out of
    order. Using Data/Sort, I've tried to put the list into the correct
    order, but the list is wack out of order.

    First I select the entire block of data. Then I choose Data/Sort:
    Column A, w/o header. First it didnt work
    2.0, 3.0, 2.1, 2.2, 1,...

    I changed the cells from text to number. Then sort worked.
    1, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3,...

    I changed the name of one of the columns in the header, now sort doesnt
    work anymore.
    1.0, 3.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.0,...

    Wot? It's like the list is sorting on hidden values in Column A.

    nb

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Newbie Question: Data/Sort

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I used Excel to organize a table of data (<50 entries). Column A uses
    > decimal numbering 1, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3, etc. The data was entered out of
    > order. Using Data/Sort, I've tried to put the list into the correct
    > order, but the list is wack out of order.
    >
    > First I select the entire block of data. Then I choose Data/Sort:
    > Column A, w/o header. First it didnt work
    > 2.0, 3.0, 2.1, 2.2, 1,...
    >
    > I changed the cells from text to number. Then sort worked.
    > 1, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3,...
    >
    > I changed the name of one of the columns in the header, now sort doesnt
    > work anymore.
    > 1.0, 3.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.0,...
    >
    > Wot? It's like the list is sorting on hidden values in Column A.
    >
    > nb

    Not real sure this will help. You may be seeing the results
    of an ascii sort. Here's a link to a chart that shows the sort sequence.

    gls858