how do i seprate multi data cell into 2 or more cells

  1. #1
    vinlouis
    Guest

    how do i seprate multi data cell into 2 or more cells

    how do i seprate multi data cell into 2 or more cells

    eg :
    <Single Cell>
    01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM
    01-Dec-04 05:07:21 PM
    10-Feb-05 06:29:48 PM
    01-Dec-04 06:05:18 PM
    01-Dec-04 06:24:37 PM
    01-Dec-04 07:05:51 PM

    into
    <Cell 1> <Cell 2>
    01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM
    01-Dec-04 05:07:21 PM
    10-Feb-05 06:29:48 PM
    01-Dec-04 06:05:18 PM
    01-Dec-04 06:24:37 PM
    01-Dec-04 07:05:51 PM

    please help,

    Thank,
    vinLouis

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: how do i seprate multi data cell into 2 or more cells

    One try ..

    Assuming data is in col A, A1 down,

    > <Single Cell>
    > 01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM
    > 01-Dec-04 05:07:21 PM
    > 10-Feb-05 06:29:48 PM

    Put in B1: =TEXT($A1,"dd-mmm-yy")
    Put in C1: =TEXT($A1,"hh:mm:ss AM/PM")

    Select B1:C1, fill down

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Blackpool, UK
    Hi vinLouis,

    the first thing you need to understand is how Excel holds date and time data. The date is stored as the number of days from (I believe) 1 January 1900. If you select one of the cells, say the cell with "01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM" and press Ctrl+1 (format cell), the Number Tab and category general, you will see the sample looks like "38322.0741", i.e. 38322 days from 1/1/1900.

    The "0.0741" is a decimal format of the time. 0.041667 = 1 hour, 0.08333 = 2 hours, etc.

    So, to answer your question!

    Lets say that you currently have "01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM" in cell A1. The in cell B1 put in the formula "=A1". Press Ctrl+1 in cell A1 and select the number tab and category Date. Select a suitable format, if one doesn't exist select the Custom category and under the type box put in a date format. The sample box will show you what you are doing, but:
    dd is number days (01, 02, etc)
    ddd is text weekday (Wed, thu, etc)
    dddd is the full text day (Wednesday, etc)
    mm is number month
    mmm is text month, etc

    To retain the date format you already have try "dd-mmm-yy".

    Do the same in cell B1 but select category time. To reatin the format you already have you will need to select custom again and type "hh:mm:ss AM/PM"

    Hope this helps.

    Art

  4. #4
    gls858

    vinlouis wrote:
    > how do i seprate multi data cell into 2 or more cells
    >
    > eg :
    > <Single Cell>
    > 01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM
    > 01-Dec-04 05:07:21 PM
    > 10-Feb-05 06:29:48 PM
    > 01-Dec-04 06:05:18 PM
    > 01-Dec-04 06:24:37 PM
    > 01-Dec-04 07:05:51 PM
    >
    > into
    > <Cell 1> <Cell 2>
    > 01-Dec-04 01:46:42 AM
    > 01-Dec-04 05:07:21 PM
    > 10-Feb-05 06:29:48 PM
    > 01-Dec-04 06:05:18 PM
    > 01-Dec-04 06:24:37 PM
    > 01-Dec-04 07:05:51 PM
    >
    > please help,
    >
    > Thank,
    > vinLouis

    Select the entire column go to Data > text to columns and
    follow the prompts to split the data as needed.

    gls858