Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

VARYING number of sheets in EXCEL

  1. #1
    Darrin
    Guest

    VARYING number of sheets in EXCEL

    In Excel how can I sum the same cell on a VARYING number of sheets with
    different names ? Is there a wildcard function or sum the same cell from ALL
    worksheets function ?

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: VARYING number of sheets in EXCEL

    set up a dummy start and a dummy stop sheet and always have the other sheets
    in between.

    =sum(shart:stop!a1)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: VARYING number of sheets in EXCEL

    Hi Darrin

    the formula
    =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1)
    will sum cell A1 on Sheet 1 and Sheet 5 and any sheet between the two (in
    tab order)

    often what people do is put a blank sheet before and after the sheets they
    want to sum - generally called something like "first" & "last" and then use
    a formula like
    =SUM(first:last!A5)
    this means that more sheets can be added between these two without formulas
    having to be re-written to include them.

    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

  4. #4
    galimi
    Guest

    RE: VARYING number of sheets in EXCEL

    Darrin,

    In sum, you can specify a range of sheets, e.g.,

    =sum(Sheet1:Sheet9)

    This will sum all visible sheets from Sheet1 through Sheet9 as seen on the
    screen. Any sheets that are non-contigous will not be summed. To ensure you
    are summing all cells, you can use a function similar to the following:

    function sumall(rng)
    for each sht in activeworkbook.sheets
    if application.thiscell.parent.name<>sht.name then
    total=total+sht.range(rng.address).value
    end if
    next
    sumall=total

    end function

    http://HelpExcel.com

    "Darrin" wrote:

    > In Excel how can I sum the same cell on a VARYING number of sheets with
    > different names ? Is there a wildcard function or sum the same cell from ALL
    > worksheets function ?

Closed Thread