Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Need to import to Access

  1. #1
    Bonnie
    Guest

    Need to import to Access

    Hi there. Using Office 02 on XP. Usually haunt the Access
    Newsgroup area. This project will require importing data
    from Excel and I want to be sure I start off on the right
    foot. I have imported data before but this case is odd.

    The Excel file has one worksheet and basically contains
    columns of funds with rows of various return calculations
    (1 yr, 3 yr, 5 yr, etc.). My problem is that the data
    is 'stacked' downwards rather than just going on out to
    the right. Here is an example:

    A| B| C| D| E|
    1| Omni Bond MnMt Intn
    2|Date 02/15 02/15 02/15 02/15
    3|1Yr -1.08% 3.54%-12.55% 2.31%
    4|3Yr 4.65% 8.55% 8.65% -6.42%
    5|
    6| Fdly Drfs RBSN IBOP
    7|Date 02/15 02/15 02/15 02/15
    8|1Yr -1.08% 3.54%-12.55% 2.31%
    9|3Yr 4.65% 8.55% 8.65% -6.42%

    The sheets have 4 tiers of columns with 17 funds (Columns
    E-U)(the 3rd tier only has 18 funds to Col V). There are
    rates of return on rows 12, 17-20, 23, 25-27 for tier 1;
    rows 38, 43-46, 49, 51-53 for tier 2; etc.

    Is it better to reposition tiers 2-4 so I have one tier
    only or can I/should I 'program' the import with certain
    cell addresses? Can the repositioning be done by command
    or must it be done manually? If by command, can you give
    me an overview?

    I'm not a programmer but do a little VB and event
    procedure stuff in Access. Would appreciate very much any
    help or advice. Thanks in advance for your time!

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor mudraker's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,983
    Bonnie

    If it is not a lot of data you have to be imported I would move the data around so that it is in a format that that is easy to import into Access

    eg
    Company1, Date, 1Yr Returns, 3 Yr Returns

    If it is alarge amount of data then you will need to look at a macro to import the data

Closed Thread