Fill a cell with a character

  1. #1
    Anauna
    Guest

    Fill a cell with a character

    Hello,

    In Quattro I can place a backslash (\) followed by a character...say = and
    the character will fill the cell regarless of column width.

    Is there a process in Excel to achieve the similar outcome?

    --
    Thank-you and all suggestions are appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Fill a cell with a character

    Format|Cells|Alignment tab|Horizontal Dropdown box|Fill

    You can also toggle a transition setting to get the same effect.

    Tools|options|Transition tab|check Transition navigation keys.

    But this will change how the Tab and home/ctrl-home key work, too.

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Fill a cell with a character

    Hi Anauna,

    Use this format (format, cells, custom) to fill remainder with periods
    @*.

    Use this format to fill beginning with periods (leader dots)
    *.@

    The format doesn't have to be text formats, the following would
    provide asterisk protection on dollar amount.
    **$#.###.00

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

    Using Formatting to Change the Way Numbers, Dates, Times, and Text Appear in Microsoft Excel,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...ts/default.asp

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Fill a cell with a character

    Or a custom format of @*=

    I use this one for "leaders" @*.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5

    Re: Fill a cell with a character

    This does work if you type and = (equal sign) and use @*= as the custom format.

    But if the OP wanted any old character repeated, then they'd have to use that
    character in the custom format, too.