posting values

  1. #1
    lisa
    Guest

    posting values

    on excel,i've been using v-lookup to get values in the same row from one
    column but i was wondering if it was possible to use data in 2 columns and
    get a value in the same row to transfer into my data sheet. I looked at
    every function in the program but can't seem to find the way to do that. if
    anyone knows how to do this, pls respond to this. thanks-lisa

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: posting values

    Lisa,

    VLOOKUP can match a value in the first column and return the value from any
    other column - and the same row as the matched value - just expand the
    second range to include the data that you want to have returned, and use the
    third parameter to specify the column number. For example, to match a value
    in column A and return the value from column C, along the lines of

    =VLOOKUP("Lisa",A1:C10,3,FALSE)

    The looked-up value can also be a cell reference:
    =VLOOKUP(F1,A1:C10,3,FALSE)

    --
    HTH,
    Bernie
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    lisa
    Guest

    Re: posting values

    it's still not clear to me how to do it. If i have values in columns A,B and
    C in my reference table and need to match up the same values in the same row
    in column A and B to return the value of column C in my data then how does
    that work? for example:
    Reference table
    column A|Column B| Column C
    blue red purple
    red yellow orange
    black yellow brown

    data table
    column A|Column B| Column C
    red green
    red yellow
    blue yellow

    SO i want column A and B in the data table to match up so that it gives the
    correct C value from the reference table. can anyone further explain how to
    use the V-look up for that?

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: posting values

    I'm sorry. When you said "use data in two columns" I did not think you meant
    match data in each of two columns.

    That requires something different: and array formula, entered using
    Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    =INDIRECT("C"&MAX(($A$1:$A$3=A7)*($B$1:$B$3=B7)*(ROW($B$1:$B$3))))

    where your reference table is in A1:C3, and your key lookup values are in A7
    and B7, and the formula is in C7.

    It will return an error if the combination in A7 and B7 doesn't appear in
    your reference table.

    To use VLOOKUP, you would need to create an new column A, with the formula

    =A1&B1

    Copied down to match all your reference and lookup data, and then use

    =VLOOKUP(A7,$A$1:$D$3,4,FALSE)

  5. #5
    lisa
    Guest

    Re: posting values

    Hi bernie,
    i'm sorry, i'm still not getting it. I think i need to know how to do this
    step by step. Does it make it easier if i said that the reference table is on
    a separate worksheet?
    I'm not sure if I am suppose to put the formula when i use the vlookup on
    the 3rd column or in a new column A that you were mentioning.. so confused...

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: posting values

    Lisa,

    Contact me privately and I will send you a working version.

  7. #7
    lisa
    Guest

    Re: posting values

    what's your email address? [email protected]?

  8. #8
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: posting values