Can't change csv to xls

  1. #1
    Laurel
    Guest

    Can't change csv to xls

    How can I change a .csv spreadhseet to a regular .xls spreadsheet? I've
    tried SAVE AS, choosing .xls as the file type, but that doesn't work. When
    I open the new .xls file, it's still in comma delimited format. If this
    sounds strange, please see details below.

    For years I've been downloading my credit card statement. The choice I pick
    is "excel .csv". The file that gets downloaded has a .csv extension, but
    when I open it, it is in standard .xls format. That is the items are in
    cells, not enclosed in quotes, and not separated by commas. I'm not an
    Excel user, typically, so I didn't think anything of it.

    Today, however, two things changed.

    1 - Instead of downloading to my PC, asking me where I wanted it saved, it
    just opened up the spread sheet. I had to explicitly use the Excel SAVE AS
    option to get it to store on my PC.

    2 - The format was what I would think a csv file should look like, that is
    items were enclosed in quotes and separated by commas.

    I've inquired of the credit card company (e-mail -waiting for answer), as it
    would seem that something had changed, but maybe not. Since I installed SP
    2, who knows what it might be contributing to the situation.

    TIA for any advice on any of these issues.

  2. #2
    Cesar Zapata
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    try this. Once you are in excel go to Data > Text to columns >
    Delimited > check "comma" then finish.

    good luck.

  3. #3
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    Only way to change a csv to a xls spreadsheet is open it in Excel then Save as,
    and change the file type to worksheet

    news:%[email protected]...
    :

  4. #4
    Cesar Zapata
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    ahhh silly me did not read your email properly. sorry for my english!.
    Yes laday layla (pretty name) is right. change the extension to .xls

  5. #5
    Laurel
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    Is there a file type "worksheet?" I explained that I'd tried SAVE AS to
    ..xls and that didn't work. Is this something different?

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Laurel
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    Well, I solved it by right clicking on the download link at my credit card
    company and doing SAVE TARGET AS. The resulting file looked fine. The
    weird thing is that it still didn't look fine if I allowed it to open
    directly from the web. So what's going on? Now just a matter of curiosity
    since I've solved the immediate problem.

    It turns out that I had mis-stated the original problem.

    When I opened the file directly from the web site, each row looked like
    this: Each line occupies the first cell in a row.

    1, "blah blah", "20.45", "1/1/2002" etc. Note there are no quotes around
    the first item. I assume that's why Excel couldn't convert it on the fly.

    When I did a SAVE AS to txt or csv it looked like this:

    "1," "blah blah," "20.45," "1/1/2002," etc Even worse now, the commas
    being inside the quotes.

    When I finally learned how to do SAVE TARGET AS to get the file without
    opening it, then the file was fine. It looked like this via Notepad and was
    in good XLS format when opened by Excel.

    "1", "blah blah", "20.45", "1/1/2002"

    No emergency anymore, but can anyone figure out why the format was good if I
    downloaded the file and then opened it, but bad if I opened it directly from
    the web site?

  7. #7
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    Where are you doing the save as?

    "Laurel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Is there a file type "worksheet?" I explained that I'd tried SAVE AS to
    : .xls and that didn't work. Is this something different?
    :
    : "Lady Layla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:%[email protected]...
    : > Only way to change a csv to a xls spreadsheet is open it in Excel then
    : > Save as,
    : > and change the file type to worksheet
    : >
    : >
    : > "Laurel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > news:%[email protected]...
    : > : How can I change a .csv spreadhseet to a regular .xls spreadsheet? I've
    : > : tried SAVE AS, choosing .xls as the file type, but that doesn't work.
    : > When
    : > : I open the new .xls file, it's still in comma delimited format. If this
    : > : sounds strange, please see details below.
    : > :

  8. #8
    Laurel
    Guest

    Re: Can't change csv to xls

    "Lady Layla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Where are you doing the save as?

    If you mean where am I saving it to, just a folder on my PC. If you mean
    what was the environment when I did the SAVE AS, I was in Excel which was
    automatically opened when I clicked on the link in the web site. As you can
    see from my posting on 3/28 at 7:55 a.m., the problem has been solved by
    using SAVE TARGET AS, so now it's just a matter of curiosity.

    1 - Why did the behavior change on the web site? Credit Card company keeps
    saying they don't do "technical" support (although I went to that link) and
    I should consult my ISP. I hate these automated "helps." Maybe it's SP 2's
    doing???

    2 - Why does the first column lack quotes when opened automatically by the
    web site?

    Oh well, some mysteries are meant to remain mysteries.
    Thanks for responding.