[SOLVED] Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell

  1. #1
    Mifty Jackson
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell

    Hi,
    Very new to all this! I want to set up cells showing a percentage
    difference. I've figured out how to get it to do that but want to have a
    blank cell if no data has been entered into one of the other cells i.e price
    before increase = A, price after increase = B and C = % diff. If I don't
    enter a value in B how can I make sure C is blank?
    Also would you recommend keeping formulas in a separate part of the
    worksheet and returning the answer to C. If so how would I do that.
    Sorry this is a bit rambly
    --
    Mifty

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell

    Hi Mifty

    Q1 - embed the formula in an IF statement e.g.
    =IF(ISBLANK(B2),"",your_current_formula)
    Q2
    you can't a formula can only affect the cell it is in ... so the "best" you
    could do is have your formula in say E100 and in C2 have =E100 which doesn't
    do you any favours and is therefore not recommended

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mifty Jackson
    Guest

    RE: Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell

    Thank you so much JulieD, it worked a treat
    Mifty

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell

    you're welcome and thanks for the feedback