adding named ranges

  1. #1
    Mike EHB-Docks
    Guest

    adding named ranges

    I have two ranges of cells named range1 and range2 but I am unable to add
    them together as =sum(range1+range2) gives me an error

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    =SUM(SUM(Range1),SUM(Range2))

  3. #3
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    The correct syntax is
    =SUM(range1,range2)

    --
    Best Regards
    Leo Heuser

    Followup to newsgroup only please.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mike W
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    thanks Leo, works perfectly. What about other operators like subtraction
    and division in these circumstances?

    Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    You're welcome, Mike :-)

    About the other operators:
    It depends on, what you're trying to accomplish.
    Which cells are to be subtracted, which cells
    divided?
    Please forward an example.

    --
    Best Regards
    Leo Heuser

    Followup to newsgroup only please.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    =range1+range2 add
    =range1-range2 subtract
    =range1*range2 multiply
    =range1/range2 divide
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Mike W
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    Hi Bernard, that doesn't seem to work for me.

    I have tried the following =sum(range1*range2) and =sum(range1)*(range2)
    and just about every variation I can think of but always end up with an
    error.

    thanks to all,

    Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Mike W
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    I've got it. They say when the pupil is ready the teacher appears and so it
    was here. Someone came into my office and asked what I was trying to do. I
    told him and he showed me how to do it. =SUM(range1)-SUM(range2)
    Brilliant, and works with all operators.

    Thanks all for you help.

    Mike
    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: adding named ranges

    The problem was the use of the term "named" in the original question.
    To Excellers this has a special meaning: that the range has been given a
    name in Excel.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme