[SOLVED] Can't sort by date

  1. #1
    Laurel
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Can't sort by date

    How can I sort a spreadsheet by a column full of dates? Even though type is
    "date" when I sort by that column, the result seems to be random. I can't
    make sense of the order even assuming it is sorting like text. The sort
    does happen, because it changes when I switch between ascending and
    descending.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Can't sort by date

    Hi Laurel,
    What happens if you hit F2 then enter for the first date
    in the column and for the last date in column.

    I'd try using the TRIMALL macro on a copy of your worksheet
    to see if anything changes.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.thm#trimall
    if that does not work or if it works and you want to know
    what you actually had then read the comments associated
    with the macro to find out what you actually have.

    HTH,

  3. #3
    Laurel
    Guest

    Re: Can't sort by date

    Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly save this info, but you'll see from
    another response that I finally figured it out.

    news:%23HGJw%[email protected]...