Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Remember and add

  1. #1
    valeter
    Guest

    Remember and add

    I am very new to excell and have tried to solve this problem myself but
    with no success. What i am trying to do is to put a number into one
    cell say A1, and i will use for (example the no 1) then the number in
    A1 (no1) will be put into say A3. Then next time, say i put a 2 into A1
    i want A3 to show 3. I am trying to keep a running total without having
    to add up all the time, i just want to input a number into a cell and
    let it automatically add up. Please explain in easy English as i am
    very green, any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

    --
    valeter

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Remember and add

    Try JE McGimpsey's page at:
    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

    Look for:
    - Single cell accumulator
    - Worksheet Function Accumulator (using Circular References)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Remember and add

    valeter

    Are you sure you want to do this?

    Think about it after reading the following.

    You can have a cumulative total in a cell if you have a
    separate source cell for adding a new total to the original.

    Use at your own risk. I am Posting this just to show you how it can
    be done, not as a good solution. You would be much better off to
    have another column so you can keep track of past entries.

    Goes like this: =IF(CELL("address")="$C$4",C4+D4,D4)

    Enter this in cell D4 and then in Tools>Options>Calculation check
    Iterations and set to 1.

    Now when you change the number in C4, D4 will accumulate.

    Note 1. If C4 is selected and a calculation takes place anywhere in
    the Application D4 will update even if no new number is entered in
    C4. NOT GOOD.

    Note 2. This operation is not recommended because you will have no
    "paper trail" to follow. Any mistake in entering a new number in C4
    cannot be corrected. NOT GOOD.

    To clear out the accumulated total in D4 and start over, select D4
    and Edit>Enter.

    Check out Laurent Longre's MoreFunc.xla. Has a Function RECALL
    which does what you want without the re-calculation problem, but
    again there is no "paper trail" for back-checking in case of errors
    in data input.

    http://longre.free.fr/english/func_cats.htm

    Having said that, check out J.E. McGimpsey's site for VBA methods.

    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP