Intercept of 2 lines

  1. #1
    flaterp
    Guest

    Intercept of 2 lines

    Is there a solution to solving the intercept of two lines using the equation
    of a line? For instance, Line 1 is y = 2x+3 and Line 2 is y = 3x -5. Set
    them equal to each other and 2x+3 = 3x-5. How can I solve the last equation?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Intercept of 2 lines

    flaterp wrote:
    > Is there a solution to solving the intercept of two lines using the equation
    > of a line? For instance, Line 1 is y = 2x+3 and Line 2 is y = 3x -5. Set
    > them equal to each other and 2x+3 = 3x-5. How can I solve the last equation?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Home work?

    hint: try subtracting or adding the same value from both sides
    of the equation.
    gls858

  3. #3
    flaterp
    Guest

    Re: Intercept of 2 lines

    Yes, I know this, but there are two problems: 1) The equations are more
    complicated than the one I listed and 2) The list of data/equations is longer
    than I would like to do this manually. Again, I ask how to do this in Excel,
    not on paper.

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Intercept of 2 lines

    Use Solver, setting (Equation1)-(Equation2) = zero, and use the same cell
    for your X values reference in your formula (and have Solver change that
    cell).

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP