Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Default date formats

  1. #1
    J Fultz
    Guest

    In Excel 2002, dates entered in a worksheet as "dd/mm" default to a custom
    format of "d-mmm". For example, 4/26 shows as 26-Apr in the worksheet cell
    even though it is shown as 4/26/2005 in the Formula Bar. I want them to
    default to "mm/dd/yyyy". In the Regional settings, the default short date
    format is shown as "dd/mm/yyyy".

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Default date formats

    J Fultz wrote:
    > In Excel 2002, dates entered in a worksheet as "dd/mm" default to a custom
    > format of "d-mmm". For example, 4/26 shows as 26-Apr in the worksheet cell
    > even though it is shown as 4/26/2005 in the Formula Bar. I want them to
    > default to "mm/dd/yyyy". In the Regional settings, the default short date
    > format is shown as "dd/mm/yyyy".
    >
    > Any ideas?

    right click on the cell select format > date > Format Cell
    select the format format you would like to see. Or change your custom
    format to m/d/yyyy.

    gls858

  3. #3
    J Fultz
    Guest

    Re: Default date formats

    Thank you for your quick response but actually I am looking for a way to
    change the default. I understand how to correct the format but I would
    prefer that it went directly to the "mm/dd/yyyy" format. That would allow me
    to enter the date in a sort of shorthand rather than needing to include the
    year when I type it in.

    I have done additional searching and I have a feeling it is a lost cause.
    It just seems strange to me that it defaults to the custom "d-mmm" format
    when there are formats specifically listed for dates that would show the date
    as "mm/dd". that would still not be what I want but at least it would make
    more sense for it to default to a "date" format rather than a "custom" format
    if it is clear recognizing the data as a date.

  4. #4
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Default date formats

    J Fultz wrote:
    > Thank you for your quick response but actually I am looking for a way to
    > change the default. I understand how to correct the format but I would
    > prefer that it went directly to the "mm/dd/yyyy" format. That would allow me
    > to enter the date in a sort of shorthand rather than needing to include the
    > year when I type it in.
    >
    > I have done additional searching and I have a feeling it is a lost cause.
    > It just seems strange to me that it defaults to the custom "d-mmm" format
    > when there are formats specifically listed for dates that would show the date
    > as "mm/dd". that would still not be what I want but at least it would make
    > more sense for it to default to a "date" format rather than a "custom" format
    > if it is clear recognizing the data as a date.
    >
    > Am I being too logical?
    > "gls858" wrote:
    >

    >>J Fultz wrote:
    >>
    >>>In Excel 2002, dates entered in a worksheet as "dd/mm" default to a custom
    >>>format of "d-mmm". For example, 4/26 shows as 26-Apr in the worksheet cell
    >>>even though it is shown as 4/26/2005 in the Formula Bar. I want them to
    >>>default to "mm/dd/yyyy". In the Regional settings, the default short date
    >>>format is shown as "dd/mm/yyyy".
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?

    >>right click on the cell select format > date > Format Cell
    >>select the format format you would like to see. Or change your custom
    >>format to m/d/yyyy.
    >>
    >>gls858

    I guess when you just type 4/26 Excel is assuming that is the format you
    want to display. If I type 4/26/2005 then the date is displayed in the
    mm/dd/yyyy format.

    gls858

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Default date formats

    Unfortunately you don't get what you want; you get a format that is not one
    of your defaults and is not what you type. It gets worse if you type 5/13;
    Excel displays May-13 but the formula bar shows it means May 1 2015!

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Default date formats

    Niek Otten wrote:
    > Unfortunately you don't get what you want; you get a format that is not one
    > of your defaults and is not what you type. It gets worse if you type 5/13;
    > Excel displays May-13 but the formula bar shows it means May 1 2015!

    Not sure whyt you're getting 2015 but when I type 5/13 it displays 13-May
    in the cell and 5/13/2005 in the formula bar.

    gls858

  7. #7
    J Fultz
    Guest

    Re: Default date formats

    Thanks again. I tapped some other sources and have concluded it IS a lost
    cause. I will just need to remember to include the date if that is the
    format I desire.

    Regards,

    "gls858" wrote:

    > J Fultz wrote:
    > > Thank you for your quick response but actually I am looking for a way to
    > > change the default. I understand how to correct the format but I would
    > > prefer that it went directly to the "mm/dd/yyyy" format. That would allow me
    > > to enter the date in a sort of shorthand rather than needing to include the
    > > year when I type it in.
    > >
    > > I have done additional searching and I have a feeling it is a lost cause.
    > > It just seems strange to me that it defaults to the custom "d-mmm" format
    > > when there are formats specifically listed for dates that would show the date
    > > as "mm/dd". that would still not be what I want but at least it would make
    > > more sense for it to default to a "date" format rather than a "custom" format
    > > if it is clear recognizing the data as a date.
    > >
    > > Am I being too logical?

    > >>right click on the cell select format > date > Format Cell
    > >>select the format format you would like to see. Or change your custom
    > >>format to m/d/yyyy.
    > >>
    > >>gls858
    > >>

    > I guess when you just type 4/26 Excel is assuming that is the format you
    > want to display. If I type 4/26/2005 then the date is displayed in the
    > mm/dd/yyyy format.
    >
    > gls858

Closed Thread