Converting a large vertical mailing list into a horizontal format

  1. #1
    Kevin VanHalen
    Guest

    Converting a large vertical mailing list into a horizontal format

    I've copied a vertical list of over 1000 customers ID #'s, names and
    addresses and pasted the info into column A in Excel. This info will be
    transferred to a letter for each customer. For this to work effeciently the
    customer info needs to be sorted horizontally in specific columns.

    Example: A B C D
    98-2004 John Doe 5555 Road Lane Town, State 77777

    I know how to do these individually, but what is the method to do this more
    quickly?
    Thank you so much for your help!

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Converting a large vertical mailing list into a horizontal format

    No harm giving this a try ..

    Assume the mailing list is all in groups of 4 lines (w/o any blank lines in
    between groups) in Sheet1, from A1 down (sample below)

    98-2004
    John Doe
    5555 Road
    Town, State 11111
    98-2005
    Peter Taylor
    1111 Lane
    Town, State 22222
    100-2004
    Mary Dees
    8888 Road Lane
    Town, State 88888
    etc

    In Sheet2
    -----------
    Put in A1:=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,ROW()*4-4+COLUMN()-1,)

    Copy A1 across to D1, fill down until zeros appear signalling exhaustion of
    data from Sheet1

    This'll return the list from Sheet1, placing each line per group of 4 lines
    nicely into cols A to D as required

    Freeze the values in cols A to D with a copy > paste special > values either
    in-place or elsewhere

    --
    Rgds
    Max