way to get a good command over Excel

  1. #1
    Shirley
    Guest

    way to get a good command over Excel

    whats the best way to get a good command over Excel for people who use Excel
    to perform normal jobs and know the basics of using Excel.

  2. #2
    zackb
    Guest

    Re: way to get a good command over Excel

    Hi,

    Use the internet. Use the free forums. Read lots!

    Good free places to learn (imo):

    Here (NG)
    www.mrexcel.com
    www.vbaexpress.com
    www.theofficeexperts.com
    www.ozgrid.com
    more resources..
    www.vbaexpress.com/resources.php#Excel

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: way to get a good command over Excel

    Shirley

    Purchase a good book or two? Debra Dalglesih has a good list.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlbooks.html

    Take a course at night-school?

    Practice a lot followed by practice a lot? (this would be my first choice)

    Look up on-line tutorials?

    Stick around the Excel News Groups and read the questions and answers?

    Check out a few of these sites listed by Ken Wright

    >http://www.excel-center.com/
    >On-line Tutorial - Probably best starting here :-)
    >
    >http://cpearson.com/
    >(Will take you a month of sundays to get through that lot)
    >
    >http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm
    >John Walkenbach's website - say no more
    >
    >http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    >Debra Dalgleish has some great tips that will get you up and running with some
    >wizzy stuff straight away.
    >
    >http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
    >A compendium of stuff from Dave McRitchie.
    >
    >http://www.tushar-mehta.com/
    >If Maths and Numbers are your forte, then this one is for you.
    >
    >http://www.rondebruin.nl/
    >Some great bits from Ron, that I wouldn't be without now.
    >
    >http://peltiertech.com/
    >Chart Stuff Galore, and a whole lot more.
    >
    >http://66.206.3.208/Excel/Default.htm
    >Oodles of Goodies
    >
    >http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
    >The only way to deal with names in Excel :-)
    >
    >http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/
    >Both Windows and Mac Magic with Excel
    >
    >http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/
    >Excel Tips and Tricks
    >
    >http://www.*****-clicks.com/
    >Click and Explore
    >
    >http://www.mrexcel.com/
    >Nice resource for a whole bunch of Excel stuff
    >
    >That little lot should take you about 20 years to get through. :-)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: way to get a good command over Excel

    Hi Shirley

    wondering what the purpose of the question is? are you working in a company
    with people who have a basic knowledge of excel and you want to extend them?
    are you someone who has a good basic knowledge of excel and want to learn
    more? is this a home work question?

    if it is the first one - two options:
    a) i would recommend hiring a "GOOD!!!!!!" excel trainer to come on site for
    a day or so, so that each person in the company spends 45 -60 mins with
    them at their desk discussing their actual work, how they approach it and
    what they would like to be able to do faster / easier etc
    b) send them on a 1 day customised training course focusing on the tricks in
    excel that actually speed up your work and introducing them to functions
    like the IF / VLOOKUP and pivot tables (depending on actual work
    requirements)

    if it is the second - the other responders have given you a good list of
    options

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD