Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

  1. #1
    Naveed Ahmad Purewal
    Guest

    move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    i want to know how to change the setting of cursor with tab key from one
    column to the other, can it be set to move directly to the 5th or what ever
    the number of column we wish to with one hit on tab key?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    I'm not sure whether this will work for you,
    but it's a harmless play
    (hang around for better suggestions ..)

    Let's say we want to tab from A1 to F1,
    then hard return to A2, tab to F2, and so on

    In a new sheet,
    Hold CTRL down, select cols A and F
    Click Format > Cells > Protection tab > Uncheck "Locked" > OK
    Click Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet > OK

    Try it out:
    Select A1, press Tab, ENTER, Tab, ENTER ...
    You'll get the zig-zag jumps: A1-F1-A2-F2-A3-F3 ...
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    If one was merely entering data, would not "hide"
    the interim columns be an easier solution for zig-zag jumps?

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    I read it that all columns were to remain visible, Rodney <g>
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    To map out an *exact* path for the focus to travel with each hit of the
    <Enter> key, see if this old post helps:

    http://tinyurl.com/39vzv
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    Thanks Max,
    I hope you didn't take my comments as smart-alecky,
    rather, I could not think of any other reason why a person would want
    to locate a cell at wide locations, constantly, other than data entry.
    I was encouraging perhaps a different slant I may have missed.
    Databases do adapt to this by offering tab matrixes.
    Regards.

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?

    Not at all, Rodney ! <g>
    We'll just have to enjoy guessing our hearts out here
    unless / until the OP feeds back further ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max