excel template/workbook

  1. #1
    trying@excel
    Guest

    excel template/workbook

    I am trying to create a template for balancing reports .
    The users will enter data and use the save as function so as to not save
    over my template . A couple things I'd like to accomplish but being an excel
    novice I'm unsure how and if it's possible .
    For example -

    although the users will being using the save as function to save as a
    workbook and not making changes to the actual template , is there still a way
    to have the data update a database each time ?

    Also I have included cells in my template for previous amounts that can be
    used as a comparison for the new data being entered . Being that this
    way to autoupdate the previous info without having to copy and paste ?

    I would appreciate any help I can get on these issues .

    Thank YOu

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: excel template/workbook

    if you save your template as a true template ie an xlt file then double
    clicking the shortcut will always open a duplicate ie it would open
    account.xlt as account1.xls
    If you have your cells linked to some data in another workbook you will be
    asked if you want to update the data,If you link to some "original" data
    cells in the same work book it will update the "copied" data every time the
    original data is changed
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!