Separate numeric and alpha

  1. #1
    Chuck Davis
    Guest

    Separate numeric and alpha

    I have an excel worksheet with addresses in the form of "1234 Some St."
    I would like to sort by street name.

    Any solution?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Separate numeric and alpha

    Chuck

    A simple method is to break out the addresses into separate columns then sort
    on the street name column.

    Select the column with the address(make sure you have a few empty columns to
    the right of the data column).

    Data>Text to Columns>Delimited by space and finish.

    Select all the columns and sort on street name.

    Best to leave them split out that way. Most apps you export to like them in
    separate cells.

    You can stick them back into one cell after the sort if you wish.

    =A1 & " " and B1 & " " & C1

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Separate numeric and alpha

    I personally prefer Gord's suggestion, but just as an alternative,........in
    a helper column put........

    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1,99)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:##[email protected]...

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Separate numeric and alpha

    To add to Gord's suggestion, when using TTC, you can leave the original data
    column *untouched*, therefore eliminating the need to "rejoin" the
    separated, "sorting" columns.

    In the third window of the TTC wizard, there's a "Destination" box, with the
    address defaulted to that of the original column.
    Simply change that to an adjoining column, and the original will remain as
    is.

    Then just include the original in the sort range, and you'll then have a
    choice to keep or discard all or just some of those separated columns.

    BTW, you should follow Gord's advice and use the "split" data columns ...
    that's just good "practice".

    RD

  5. #5
    Chuck Davis
    Guest

    Re: Separate numeric and alpha

    > Chuck
    >
    > A simple method is to break out the addresses into separate columns then
    > sort
    > on the street name column.
    >
    > Select the column with the address(make sure you have a few empty columns
    > the right of the data column).
    >
    > Data>Text to Columns>Delimited by space and finish.
    >
    > Select all the columns and sort on street name.
    >
    > Best to leave them split out that way. Most apps you export to like them
    > in
    > separate cells.
    >
    > You can stick them back into one cell after the sort if you wish.
    >
    > =A1 & " " and B1 & " " & C1
    >

    > Gord Dibben Excel MVP
    >

    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:07:09 -0700, "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs
    > dot
    > com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an excel worksheet with addresses in the form of "1234 Some St."
    >>I would like to sort by street name.
    >>
    >>Any solution?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance

    Thanks again. It worked, except I can never delete the columns with the
    numeric and alpha data. Its not a real problem.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Separate numeric and alpha

    Chuck

    See RD's post for further refinements to TTC which I neglected to point out.

    Also, if you have gone with the "splitting" and want the data placed back in
    one cell using the formula I posted, just select the column and Copy>Paste
    Special>Values>OK>Esc.

    Then delete the original split-out columns.

    Gord