Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Golf scorecard again

  1. #1
    kevhatch
    Guest

    Golf scorecard again

    Is there a formula for this?
    Stableford Golf Scores.
    To work out a players total points based on their handicap.

    Each hole is handicapped (Stroke Index 1-18). The players handicap
    indicates the hole upon which he can deduct a stroke,
    ie. Players handicap is -4, he deducts a stroke on each of the first four
    handicapped holes.
    If his handicap is -28, he deducts a stroke on each hole, 1-18 and an
    additional stroke on holes handicapped 1 thru 10. (His handicap minus 18).
    Players handicaps run from -0 to -28.

    Points are scored as follows:
    1 over par= 1pt
    par= 2pt
    1 under par= 3pt
    2 under par= 4pt
    3 under par= 5pt

    I have started one based on a 28 handicap which I think is correct, and
    posted it here:

    http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=qtr1m6U=

    Is there a way it can be worked with variable Stroke Indexes (for different
    courses) and handicaps (different players)?
    Sounds impossible to me but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.
    Thx

  2. #2
    kevhatch
    Guest

    RE: Golf scorecard again

    That link isn't working, try this one:
    http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=qtr0k6g=

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    One play ..

    Put in D6:
    =IF(C6="",0,IF(C$4<$B6-18,C6-2,C6-1))

    Put in E6:
    =IF(D6=0,0,IF(OR(C$3-D6<-1,C$3-D6>3),0,VLOOKUP(C$3-D6,{-1,1;0,2;1,3;2,4;3,5}
    ,2)))

    Select D6:E6 and copy / paste to G6:H6, J6:K6, M6:N6, P6:Q6, S6:T6, V6:W6,
    Y6:Z6, AB6:AC6

    Then just select D6:AD6 and fill down as many rows as required (but erase
    all the dummy scores in row 6 first)

    Sample file with the implemented construct available at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/8674458
    File: GolfScoreCard_kevhatch_newusers_1.xls
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    "kevhatch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a formula for this?
    > Stableford Golf Scores.
    > To work out a players total points based on their handicap.
    >
    > Each hole is handicapped (Stroke Index 1-18). The players handicap
    > indicates the hole upon which he can deduct a stroke,
    > ie. Players handicap is -4, he deducts a stroke on each of the first four
    > handicapped holes.
    > If his handicap is -28, he deducts a stroke on each hole, 1-18 and an
    > additional stroke on holes handicapped 1 thru 10. (His handicap minus 18).
    > Players handicaps run from -0 to -28.
    >
    > Points are scored as follows:
    > 1 over par= 1pt
    > par= 2pt
    > 1 under par= 3pt
    > 2 under par= 4pt
    > 3 under par= 5pt
    >
    > I have started one based on a 28 handicap which I think is correct, and
    > posted it here:
    >
    > http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=qtr1m6U=
    >
    > Is there a way it can be worked with variable Stroke Indexes (for

    different
    > courses) and handicaps (different players)?
    > Sounds impossible to me but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.
    > Thx

    ---

  4. #4
    kevhatch
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    Thx Max,
    That works great with a 28 handicap. Is there a way it can be made to work
    if the h/cap were variable, as they can change for each player from time to
    time?

    Players handicap of:
    1 to 18 allowed 1stroke only on stroke index holes corresponding to their
    h/cap.
    i.e. player h/cap of 3 allowed one stroke on holes of s/index 1 - 3 etc.

    Players handicap of:
    19 to 28 allowed 1 stroke on all 18 holes, in addition to 1 extra stroke on
    each of the hardest holes corresponding to their h/cap.
    i.e. player h/cap of 22 allowed one stroke for each hole plus one extra
    stroke on holes of s/index 1 - 4 etc.
    Thx again

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    > .. made to work if the h/cap were variable ..

    Thought variable handicaps (besides variable par and stroke indexes) was
    already catered for in the suggested formulas, no? (Based, of course, on a
    best effort interp of the complexities posed by a non-golfer <g>)

    In the sample file provided, in Sheet1, try inputting other handicaps (but
    with the same dummy scores for easy comparison) on subsequent rows 7 - 10
    (I've pre-loaded the formulas to row10). Also keep the other 2 variables,
    par and the stroke indexes unchanged to comparison. Check whether the
    formula returns are as expected for a couple of test h/cap cases. Try it and
    post back.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    Typo in line:
    > .. Also keep the other 2 variables, par and the stroke indexes
    > unchanged to comparison...

    2nd part should read:

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    kevhatch
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    ok max, thx. sorry to be a pain.
    I have applied and tested the formula and found a few discrepencies.
    Uploaded here:

    http://www.savefile.com/files/4982248

    Table 1 shows:
    what the extra shot allowance should be per hole according to players h/cap
    and the stroke index of each hole.

    Table 2 is showing the formula results. Discrepencies being the blue figures.

    Hope all this makes sense.
    Thx
    Kev

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    Hi!

    I tried downloading your file from the link you posted but it didn't work.
    Bad link?

    I was able to download Max's file.....

    Is that how your file is laid out?

    UGH! <vbg>

    I have a sample file that does what you want. Handles hdcps from 0 to 54 and
    includes the modified Stableford scoring system.

    Here's a link:

    http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...M05IB3HJHRNUJS

    That link expires in 7 days or 25 DL's, whichever occurs first.

    Biff

  9. #9
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    Thanks for the clarification, Kev. Ok, thought it more straightforward to
    just use your Table 1 (the one with the correct shot allowances) as a
    reference source, and revise the earlier formula in D6 to read the figures
    direct from Table 1 instead, via an INDEX(...,MATCH(...),MATCH(...)).

    Here's the revised sample file: http://www.savefile.com/files/7533806
    File: GolfScoreCard_kevhatch_newusers_2.xls

    The revised construct hence reads as:

    Put in D6:
    =IF(C6="",0,C6-INDEX(Chk!$A:$S,MATCH($B6,Chk!$A:$A,0),MATCH(C$4,Chk!$A$5:$S$
    5,0)))

    (revised formula in D6, Table 1 is in sheet: Chk)

    Put in E6:
    =IF(D6=0,0,IF(OR(C$3-D6<-1,C$3-D6>3),0,VLOOKUP(C$3-D6,{-1,1;0,2;1,3;2,4;3,5}
    ,2)))

    (no change to formula in E6)

    Select D6:E6 and copy / paste to G6:H6, J6:K6, M6:N6, P6:Q6, S6:T6, V6:W6,
    Y6:Z6, AB6:AC6

    Then just select D6:AD6 and fill down as many rows as required (Erase all

  10. #10
    kevhatch
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again

    Thx Guys, excellent job. I'm learning..slowly!

  11. #11
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Golf scorecard again