Basketball/Any Sport League Table

  1. #1
    Liverpool

    Question Basketball/Any Sport League Table

    I know the basics of Excel, but the more different things i try to do, the more complicated the whole thing gets.

    Anyway, My main aim is to create a league table. so far i have an excel spreadsheet with an entire seasons worth of info in it,aswell as 18 teams worth of individual team performance, so the crowning glory would be a league table. but i am stumped.

    i have created a new sheet with all of the teams on and used COUNTIF to count win, lose or draw from the relevant sections. The problem now is how to ask excel to differentiate between win and draw in terms of the number of points awarded for each occurance.
    Once that is figured out, i want the individual teams to move automatically along with all of their respective information so the team with the most points is at the top etc. and if possible to then calculate goal difference being the next deciding factor in terms of rank.

    with any luck someone has already asked this particular 'poser' and it will therefore be fairly simple to explain.

    if not, if there are any incredibly intelligent ladies or gents out there who can help shed a little light on the subject i would be very grateful.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Basketball/Any Sport League Table

    Use a Pivot Table, with your data table as the source.

    With just your data, you can only sort on one factor (points). So you need to add a calculated
    field, which should be based on a formula like = Points + GDiff/100

    Then you can sort on that calculated field, and all should be well.

    I have a sample workbook that I can send you if you are confused - email me privately by taking out
    the spaces and changing the dot to .

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Basketball/Any Sport League Table

    Have a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Liverpool
    Bernie,
    Thanks for the advice. However, could you tell me your e-mail again, i didnt understand what you meant!!!

  5. #5
    Liverpool
    Bob,
    thanks for the web address. My companies security system prevents me from downloading the zip file. do you happen to have any example spreadsheets that i cuold access.
    Regards

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Basketball/Any Sport League Table

    If your company allows attachments via email, I could mail it to you. Just
    give me your email addy.

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Basketball/Any Sport League Table

    It's in the post. Let me know if/when you get it.

    Bob Phillips