Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

  1. #1
    cycler
    Guest

    Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

    In Excel in a certain directory, when using "File" "open", the file list can
    not appear to be capable of sorting into alpha order by clicking the "name"
    column header.
    This is very inconvenient because it is a shared directory and other users
    report files missing when they are actually in the list elsewhere.

  2. #2

    Re: Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

    Are you sure you're showing details in that dialog?

  3. #3
    cycler
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

    What more details would be needed to clarify this?

  4. #4
    gls858
    Guest

    cycler wrote:
    > What more details would be needed to clarify this?
    >
    > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
    >

    >>Are you sure you're showing details in that dialog?
    >>
    >>cycler wrote:
    >>
    >>>In Excel in a certain directory, when using "File" "open", the file list can
    >>>not appear to be capable of sorting into alpha order by clicking the "name"
    >>>column header.
    >>>This is very inconvenient because it is a shared directory and other users
    >>>report files missing when they are actually in the list elsewhere.

    >>--
    >>
    >>Dave Peterson

    in the Open dialog box there is an icon for views set it to Details
    I believe this is what Dave was referring to.

    gls858

  5. #5
    cycler
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

    Thank you but the details icon, or the list icon, doesn't improve the sort.
    All the filenames are numeric or alpha-numeric
    Would this be a factor?

  6. #6
    gls858
    Guest

    cycler wrote:
    > Thank you but the details icon, or the list icon, doesn't improve the sort.
    > All the filenames are numeric or alpha-numeric
    > Would this be a factor?
    >
    > "gls858" wrote:
    >

    >>cycler wrote:
    >>
    >>>What more details would be needed to clarify this?

    >>in the Open dialog box there is an icon for views set it to Details
    >>I believe this is what Dave was referring to.
    >>
    >>gls858

    Once you display the details you can click on Name and the top
    of the col it should toggle A-Z or Z-A note that folder are sorted
    separately.

    gls858

  7. #7

    Re: Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

    But if you show the details (by clicking on View|details), then you can click on
    the Name header to sort.

    At least it always works that way for me.

  8. #8
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't the File Open list sort into filename order?

    > At least it always works that way for me.

    Ditto :-)

    news:[email protected]...