There has to be any easier way!!

  1. #1
    mully
    Guest

    There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi
    any suggestions how to improve the macro listed below. Its an absolute pain
    having to change the macro each week because the data and positions alter
    after updating the data.

    Any help much appreciated ----- Mully

    Sub Button2_Click()

    Range("B3:L3").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B24").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B4:L4").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B46").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B5:L5").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B25").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B6:L7").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B47").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B8:L8").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B26").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B9:L9").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B35").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B10:L10").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B49").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B11:L11").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B27").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B12:L12").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B50").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B13:L13").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B28").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B14:L17").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B29").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B18:L18").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B36").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("L20").Select
    Range("B19:L19").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B33").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B22:L22").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B51").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("A2").Select
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Sub Button2_Click()

    Range("B3:L3").Copy Range("B24")
    Range("B4:L4").Copy Range("B46")
    Range("B5:L5").Copy Range("B25")
    Range("B6:L7").Copy Range("B47")
    Range("B8:L8").Copy Range("B26")
    Range("B9:L9").Copy Range("B35")
    Range("B10:L10").Copy Range("B49")
    Range("B11:L11").Copy Range("B27")
    Range("B12:L12").Copy Range("B50")
    Range("B13:L13").Copy Range("B28")
    Range("B14:L17").Copy Range("B29")
    Range("B18:L18").Copy Range("B36")
    Range("B19:L19").Copy Range("B33")
    Range("B22:L22").Copy Range("B51")
    Range("A2").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    mully
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Bob

    So Viera's gone and Wenger wants Jenas to replace him eh!! Jenas not in the
    same class in fact to use an old adage he's not good enough to lace his boots
    - and if he's an of International class Gawd 'elp us all.

    Now back to businessas you know I've used this community an awful lot in
    recent weeks and thanks to everyone they've taught me a lot - yourself
    especially!!! just tried and used the revised macro worked spot on first time
    great & thanks - can I ask another question regards this worksheet and its a
    damn long sheet I shortened the macro to 20 row entries from 260 rows - If I
    gave each row in column B a code number as follows A1 to A10 and through the
    alphabet to Z1:10 (thats why we have 260 rows) through the week after
    sorting the data each day they obviously end up in different rows on the
    sheet. is it possible to place say A1:A10 in order in row 265- 274 then
    B1:B10 in rows 275 - 284 and so so on through to letter Z. Because I would
    use Column B for the Identifier the other data would then be in Columns C - M.

    Thanks again ------ Mully

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Sorry Mully, didn't notice it was you.

    Comments inline.
    "mully" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bob
    >
    > So Viera's gone and Wenger wants Jenas to replace him eh!! Jenas not in

    the
    > same class in fact to use an old adage he's not good enough to lace his

    boots
    > - and if he's an of International class Gawd 'elp us all.

    To be prefectly honest, I think we made a mistake not letting him go last
    year for Euro 40M to Madrid. As a consequence, Viera sulked. He has not been
    the same since his injury, not sure if he is in decline or still moping,
    either way it is time to cash him in, so I think Wenger is correct.

    I think the Jenas story is a Newcastle plant to entive your boys in. I would
    put money on Jenas going to Tampa Bay Disunited than the Gooners.

    We do need a strong midfield man though, to support Silva (Jenas ain't him
    though).

    > Now back to businessas you know I've used this community an awful lot in
    > recent weeks and thanks to everyone they've taught me a lot - yourself
    > especially!!! just tried and used the revised macro worked spot on first

    time
    > great & thanks

    Pleasure as always.

    > can I ask another question regards this worksheet and its a
    > damn long sheet I shortened the macro to 20 row entries from 260 rows -

    If I
    > gave each row in column B a code number as follows A1 to A10 and through

    the
    > alphabet to Z1:10 (thats why we have 260 rows) through the week after
    > sorting the data each day they obviously end up in different rows on the
    > sheet. is it possible to place say A1:A10 in order in row 265- 274 then
    > B1:B10 in rows 275 - 284 and so so on through to letter Z. Because I would
    > use Column B for the Identifier the other data would then be in Columns

    C - M.

    Not sure I get the question, but here is a stab

    Sub Mully()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    For j = 1 To 26
    For i = 1 To 10
    Cells(264 + (j - 1) * 10 + i, "A").Value = Cells(i,
    j).Address(False, False)
    Next i
    Next j
    End Sub

  5. #5
    mully
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Bob

    Now I'm on my own (Wife gone spending) had a good go with the previous and
    got it working ok but because I didn't explain it properly - I have set up a
    test sheet with 30 rows - all using columns B to L filled with data. In
    column B on each row I inserted a code number A1:A10 / B1:B10 / C1:C10and
    mixed them all up so say for example A6 could by the end of the week be on
    row 17. I have jigged around with your previous code and it now will place
    the code numbers in order A1:A10 on rows 33-42 / B1:B10 on rows 44 - 53 /
    C1:cC10 on rows 55-64 all in the correct order how would i get it to grab the
    data in Columns C:L and put it on the same row that say A6 has moved to which
    at the moment is row 38. I was wasting so much time copying and pasting just
    trying to keep up to date.

    Thanks and all the best for the new season it looks like we are both going
    to need it
    Cheers Mully

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Is this it?

    Sub Mully()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    For j = 1 To 26
    For i = 1 To 10
    Cells(264 + (j - 1) * 10 + i, "A").Value = _
    Cells(i, j).Address(False, False)
    Next i
    Next j

    For i = 1 To 17
    j = Application.Match(Cells(i, "B").Value, Range("A265:A524"), 0)
    Cells(i, "B").Resize(, 11).Copy Cells(264 + j, "B")
    Next i

  7. #7
    mully
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Bob

    Getting this error message when running code ---

    Run-time error '13' Type Mis Match
    VBA picks out the line below

    j = Application.Match(Cells(i, "B").Value, Range("A265:A524"), 0)

    When this runs correctly will it also copy each rows cells C to L
    along with the code number say A6 ??

    Looks like you are right according to the press this morning Owen & Jenas
    are on Tampa Bay United's shopping list don't mind Owen But Jenas ARGH!!!!!
    Glad I went fishing before I read that.

    Cheers ----- Mully

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Mully,

    That suggests that the value in Bn is not found in the newly generated
    A1-A10, B1-B10, etc. I assumed that the values in B1:B30 would be within
    those ranges of values.

    You don't have a value in B1:B30 that isn't one of those do you?

    BTW, the line

    For i = 1 To 17

    should read

    For i = 1 To 30

    and it will copy B-L from the rows 1:30 to the equivalent cells in rows
    265:524

    Owen and Jenas, you can have them both, I don't rate Jenas, and feel the
    team has to play for Owen rather than vice versa.

  9. #9
    mully
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Bob

    Re - jigged the sheet I had forgotten about the header row - worked
    absolutely spot on when I took it out and I inserted the adjustments you
    suggested .Once again thank you for all your help - I'm sure I'll be here
    again sometime in the future and maybe we will link up again.

    All the best

    Mully ----- Come on you Reds !!!!! Tampa

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Look forward to it Mully.

    By the time we next meet, I am sure that Arsenal will be top, and Tampa will
    be floundering in the bottom half. Yeah!

    Bob

  11. #11
    mully
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Bob

    You're livin' in a dream world there my friend ( I bloody 'ope so )

    Anyway I can use what you have sent me over the weekend on another sheet
    which would only use 3 letters as part of the ID e.g. K / T / S in the line
    below

    For j = 1 To 26 ( this picks up A - Z ???)

    How would I change it to pick up these three letters K/T/S instead of the
    whole Alphabet

    Cheers and 'appy dreamin' ----- Mully

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Mully,

    This is just the code generation bit

    Sub Mully()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    Dim ary

    ary = Array(0, 11, 19, 20)
    For j = 1 To 3
    For i = 1 To 10
    Cells(264 + (j - 1) * 10 + i, "A").Value = _
    Cells(i, ary(j)).Address(False, False)
    Next i
    If j = 11 Then j = 18
    Next j

    &

    /

    the
    > > week

    now
    > > will

    rows
    > > 44 -

    it

    > > moved

    and

    are
    > > both

    > > Jenas

    enough to

    letting
    > > him go

    He
    > > has

    still

    > > correct.

    boys
    > > in.

    > > Gooners.

    (Jenas

    an
    > > awful

    lot -

    > > spot on

    from
    > > 260

    A10
    > > and

    the
    > > week

    different
    > > rows

    > > 265-

    > > Because

    be
    > > in

    Cells(i,

  13. #13
    mully
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Hi Bob

    The following is the code as entered - before put new code in was working
    perfectly
    using A/B/C

    Sub Button3_Click()

    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    Dim ary

    ary = Array(0, 5, 14, 23)
    For j = 1 To 3
    For i = 1 To 10
    Cells(33 + (j - 1) * 10 + i, "A").Value = _
    Cells(i, ary(j)).Address(False, False)
    Next i
    If j = 11 Then j = 18
    Next j
    For i = 3 To 32

    j = Application.Match(Cells(i, "B").Value, Range("A34:A63"), 0)
    Cells(i, "B").Resize(, 11).Copy Cells(33 + j, "B")
    Next i

    End Sub

    where VBA shows error on line below

    j = Application.Match(Cells(i, "B").Value, Range("A34:A63"), 0)

    What 'am I missing tried changing everything still throws Type Mis match
    "error 13"

    Cheers Mully

  14. #14

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Come on lads!

    Its it really necessary for all exchanging posters to resend all the preceding
    posts *every* time. Yeah I know you want things in context, but when it's just
    re-re-re-repeating what all have just read, or just chat (not about excel) isn't
    it a bit wasteful of bandwidth? How about editing a bit before replying? This is
    the best newsgroup; let's keep the standard up!

    !!

  15. #15
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Mully,

    You have to have an empty cell somewhere in B3:B32

  16. #16
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    [email protected] shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

    > Come on lads!
    >
    > Its it really necessary for all exchanging posters to resend all the
    > preceding posts every time. Yeah I know you want things in context,
    > but when it's just re-re-re-repeating what all have just read, or
    > just chat (not about excel) isn't it a bit wasteful of bandwidth?
    > How about editing a bit before replying? This is the best newsgroup;
    > let's keep the standard up!
    >

    > !!

    And how about the top-quoting/bottom-quoting discussion.

    Amedee Van Gasse

  17. #17
    Ken McLennan
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    G'day there Amadee,

    > And how about the top-quoting/bottom-quoting discussion.
    > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

    Hey!! That sounds familiar. I've often been accused of quoting
    from my bottom =)

    See ya
    --
    Ken McLennan
    Qld, Australia

  18. #18
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    Ken McLennan shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

    > G'day there Amadee,

    It's AmEdee with an E in the middle, not AmAdee ;-)

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse

  19. #19
    Ken McLennan
    Guest

    Re: There has to be any easier way!!

    G'day there AmEdee,

    > It's AmEdee with an E in the middle, not AmAdee ;-)

    Sorry about that. It's the result of typing with my eyes closed =)

    See ya
    --
    Ken McLennan
    Qld, Australia