[SOLVED] combo boxes and lookup

  1. #1
    Addz
    Guest

    [SOLVED] combo boxes and lookup

    Hello

    I'm trying to get some data to be synchronised with some data in a combo
    boxes, (e.g. when I select an item from the combo box I want the correct
    value/answer for it to be displayed in one of the cells).
    Plz help as I'm pretty new to all of this.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    for a combobox from the control toolbox toolbar,
    Link the combobox to the cell where you want the value to appear.

    Right click on the combobox in design mode and select properties. Use the
    linked cell property with an argument like

    Sheet1!B9

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Addz
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    That didn't quite answer my question but it did clear up some issues. (e.g.
    if I have car registration numbers in the combo box, and have the rest of the
    data for the cars like make, model and engine size elsewhere in the workbook,
    I want the correct details to appear in the cells I want when I select any
    one of the car registration numbers).

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    Combine the data entered in the cell with the vlookup formula to return the
    data you require.

    =if(linkedcell = "","",vlookup(likedcell,table,2,False))

    as an example.

    Linked cell indicates the cell you have linked to the combobox and which
    displays the item selected in the combobox. Table indicates a range of
    cells that contain all the registration numbers in the left most column of
    the range and the accompany items like make, model and engine size in
    adjacent columns.

    See help on Vlookup for details.

  5. #5
    Addz
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    I still do not understand any of that, plz can you explain in plain easy
    english as I'm not very good at this sort of thing

  6. #6
    paul
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    combo box from forms toolbar for your list of mumber plates
    in cell A1 = choose or =index so you can use your cell link from your
    combobox to return the rego number you have chosen in your combo box
    you can then use a =vlookup(a1,etc) table with formulas for the different
    columns to return the info on each car
    send me an email [email protected] and i will send you a
    small example

    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  7. #7
    Addz
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    Tried sending you an e-mail to ask for the small example but delievery
    failed, if you could plz send me it to [email protected], that would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    paul
    Guest

    Re: combo boxes and lookup

    you havd to remove the nospam bit....I sent you a small sample sheet...Hope
    it helps