When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

  1. #1
    Roger O
    Guest

    When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    I have EXCEL 2002 sp3 on WinXP. I added some of my frequently used macros
    into my PERSONAL.XLS file, so that they are available with each spreadsheet
    that I open. Now, everytime I start up EXCEL it automatically opens the
    PERSONAL.XLS file instead of just using it as a template. The macros appear
    in the toolbar just fine, but won't run since PERSONAL.XLS is open. Can
    someone help me, please ? What have I done wrong ?

    thanks ... Roger

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    There's nothing special about Personal.xls - it's just a regular
    workbook that's stored in your Startup folder. Every file in your
    startup folder will be opened when XL starts up. Nor is there anything
    special about the name - it's just the default name that XL gives when
    you record a macro.

    You can hide Personal.xls (Window/Hide), but it needs to be open in
    order to run a macro from it , just like any other file.

    Templates don't work the same way in Xl as they do in Word. While new
    files can be made as copies of templates, templates don't stay attached
    to the files. Personal.xls was never, unless you saved it as a template,
    acting as a template.

  3. #3

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    Just to add to J.E.'s response...

    To hide that personal.xls workbook:
    Open excel
    (hide personal.xls via Window|hide)
    close excel

    Tell excel you want to save the changes to personal.xls.

    Next time you open excel, personal.xls will be opened, but hidden.

  4. #4
    Roger O
    Guest

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    Thanks for your reply. In WORD I have a few macros which I use regularly and
    have them incorporated into the toolbar so that I can use then with any
    document. How can I do the same in EXCEL ? I put my EXCEL macro in the
    Personal.xls file, and it appears in the toolbar just fine with every
    spreadsheet that I open, and even when I CLOSE personal.xls. When
    Personal.xls is open the macro WILL NOT run (the error message says that I
    can't have 2 documents of the same name open at the same time), but once I
    close Personal.xls, the macro runs just fine.

    Does this make any sense to you ??

    thanks for your help so far ... Roger

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Roger O
    Guest

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    Dear Dave

    thanks, I have tried hidding Personal.xls, but it makes no difference. See
    my earlier post

    Roger

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    It sounds to me like the icons on the toolbar are pointing to a different
    personal.xls--maybe you did your development (and saving to a different
    folder???).

    I'd try opening the correct personal.xls and rightclick on each of those icons
    and see if they point to the correct personal.xls.

  7. #7
    Roger O
    Guest

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    Dear Dave

    great !!! thanks !!! Yes, you were right. Somehow I created another
    Personal.xls file in another directory (not XLSTART) and the macro was
    pointing to the other one. I have changed the macro so it points to the
    XLSTART/PERSONAL.XLS file and all is fixed.

    again, many thanks ... Roger

  8. #8

    Re: When I open EXCEL my PERSONAL.XLS opens as well !!

    I like to create my menu/toolbar when the workbook opens (and delete it when the
    workbook closes).

    Then I never have to worry about moving that file and reassigning icons to
    macros.

    I use a variation of John Walkenbach's menumaker:
    to add items to the worksheet menubar.

    If I want to add a toolbar of my own, here's how I do it:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...5B41%40msn.com