Adding text

  1. #1
    robert rizzo
    Guest

    Adding text

    I have a spreadsheet of my 550+ CD collection. What i'm trying to do is sum
    up each genre. I have twenty different genres (folk, blues, classic rock,
    rap, etc...) and what I want to do is find the total for each. As of now I
    have 4columns. In A is the Artist; B-album title; C-genre; D-total for each
    section(D cells are empty up to the last row in each section where the total
    for that section is). My collection is broken up in Alphabetic order by
    Artist. There is a title row above each section with the letter of the
    alphabet pertaining to the text below. I'm also trying to find a way to
    create charts showing the percentages for each genre as well, but am having
    no luck. Please help!!

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Adding text

    Hi robert,

    Either:
    1) Use Sort (from the Data menu) to sort by genre, then use Subtotal (again
    from the Data menu).
    or
    2) Build a pivot table. You can access a tutorial on pivot tables at
    http://edferrero.m6.net/Pivot200301.shtml

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Try the COUNTIF function. Put your Genres in Column F (cause I'm sure they'll repeat NUMEROUS times).Then place the function in column G. Example:

    F1:Rock-----------G1:=COUNTIF(C:C,$F1)
    F2:Trance
    F3:Alternative

    Copy G1 down. This will give you a numeric amount of cells that contain each different genre. Hope this is what you were looking for!
    -Joseph

  4. #4
    robert rizzo
    Guest

    Re: Adding text

    Thank you very much. This worked extremely well! Plus it helped making my
    charts!

  5. #5
    robert rizzo
    Guest

    Re: Adding text

    Thank you I tried but it didn't work!

  6. #6
    robert rizzo
    Guest

    Re: Adding text

    What does the C:C part mean?

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    The C:C just checks the ENTIRE column of C (which should be your genre).

    And did it work or not?? which is it? cause it works for me
    Last edited by malik641; 08-05-2005 at 05:44 PM.

  8. #8
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Adding text

    Hi robert,

    A reference like C:C refers to the whole of column C. So , if you enter the
    formula =SUM(C:C) in cell A1, then cell A1 will have the sum of all values
    in column C.

    Note that if you enter =Sum(C:C) in a cell in column C, you will get a
    circular reference.

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/

  9. #9