Text Formatting

  1. #1
    Suzanne Bond
    Guest

    Text Formatting

    I have text direct from a US system in a report, the text is a US date eg
    01/30/2004. I would like to complete an aging report and need to find an
    easy way to convert text 01/30/2004 to 30/01/2004 to allow excel to recognise
    this as a date.
    I have around 400 lines of data to convert so dont want to have to do this
    manually.

    can anyone help??
    Thx
    --
    Suzanne Bond

  2. #2
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Text Formatting

    Highlight the column
    Click on <Format><Cells><Custom> and in 'Type' enter dd/mm/yyyy and click on
    OK
    Job done.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Text Formatting

    If those dates are all in one column.

    select that column
    data|text to columns
    choose mdy as the date format
    and then format the column the way you want.

    Be careful. Some of those dates may have been imported as dates:

    06/07/2005 could mean June 7th or July 6th.

    If you bring the data in from a text file, rename it to .txt (if it was .csv)
    and then file|open.

    You'll be prompted for each field. Chose the one that applies to the data--not
    the way you want to see it.

    Then change the format afterwards.