Printable fields in Excel?

  1. #1

    Printable fields in Excel?

    I don’t use Excel a lot, but I am familiar with the program.

    This is the deal... I’m trying to create an Excel form for this local restaurant that I’ve been doing some work for. They have customers call in to order party platters, so there has to be fields for their credit card number, expiration date, what type of platter they want and how many people it feeds, etc. The thing is when they print them off, they want the printable copies to show everything (the customer’s address, phone number, etc) but they want the credit card number and expiration date left invisible), so if an associate looses the form, somebody won’t have all that personal information but it can still be accessed on their computer.

    Is this possible... to create a form with only certain printable fields???

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    salooha
    Guest

    RE: Printable fields in Excel?

    Hi ckad79,

    this is definetly possible, but my personal opinion would be to stay away
    from excel if you're going to put credit card information. excel wouldn't be
    the best for this, I would recommend that you use access instead. it is much
    more secure when it comes to this kind of information.

    just my 0.02 cents....
    _____________________
    Thanks,
    salah
    http://leitek.com

  3. #3
    gls858

    salooha wrote:
    > Hi ckad79,
    >
    > this is definetly possible, but my personal opinion would be to stay away
    > from excel if you're going to put credit card information. excel wouldn't be
    > the best for this, I would recommend that you use access instead. it is much
    > more secure when it comes to this kind of information.
    >
    > just my 0.02 cents....
    > _____________________
    > Thanks,
    > salah
    > http://leitek.com
    >

    > "ckad79" wrote:
    >

    >>I don’t use Excel a lot, but I am familiar with the program.
    >>
    >>This is the deal... I’m trying to create an Excel form for this local
    >>restaurant that I’ve been doing some work for. They have customers call
    >>in to order party platters, so there has to be fields for their credit
    >>card number, expiration date, what type of platter they want and how
    >>many people it feeds, etc. The thing is when they print them off, they
    >>want the printable copies to show everything (the customer’s address,
    >>phone number, etc) but they want the credit card number and expiration
    >>date left invisible), so if an associate looses the form, somebody
    >>won’t have all that personal information but it can still be accessed
    >>on their computer.
    >>
    >>Is this possible... to create a form with only certain printable
    >>fields???
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    >>--
    >>ckad79
    >>ckad79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26315
    >>View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=395872

    Storing credit card info is risky business. It's best if you don't store
    it at all and have the customer give their card number each time.

    gls858

  4. #4
    They would need the credit card incase the charge is disputed.

    I know sometimes, when orders are placed online... the code will return on the order form as XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX or just the last four digits in there for record keeping.

    I'm going to get Access a try but for the time being can somebody please explain how to make printable and non-printable fields.

    Quote Originally Posted by gls858