Cell only shows link in text, not contents of reference cell

  1. #1
    Jay Mac
    Guest

    Cell only shows link in text, not contents of reference cell

    Some cells on the worksheet will show the information in the referenced cell.
    Others only show the statement. For example, if I enter ='log'!K5, that's
    exactly what appears in that cell, not the contents of the referenced cell.

    John

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Cell only shows link in text, not contents of reference cell

    Since you say that only *some* cells exhibit this problem, I would guess
    that the "bad" cells were probably formatted as text,*before* you entered
    the formulas.

    If that's the case, you must change the formatting *and* re-register the
    formula in order to obtain a valid XL formula.

    Try this:
    Select a "bad" cell,
    Then
    <Ctrl> <Shift> < ~ >
    Then
    <F2>
    Then
    <Enter>

    What you did here, was
    Keyboard shortcut to "General" format
    Enter "Edit" mode
    Re-register formula.

    If you have a great many of these problem cells (formulas), you can select
    them all,
    Change the format en masse,
    <Ctrl> <Shift> < ~ >

    Re-register en masse using,
    <Edit> <Replace>

    Find what
    =
    Replace with
    =
    <Replace All>

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Cell only shows link in text, not contents of reference cell

    Try hitting F2 then Enter.

    Tools, Options, Calculation, calculation: automatic

    Does F9 fix it
    Does CTRL+ALT+F9 fix it
    or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F9 for Excel 2002 will rebuild all dependency trees

    check format of cells, if it is text that would do it
    select cell, format, cells, (see what you have for format if not General)

    If you have a space in front of = sign you will just see "formula"
    check the length of cell again what you see =LEN(A1)
    You might try TRIMALL macro in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    which is useful for a lot of screwups, including
    - changing between text and number or number and text without reentering,
    - removing extraneous spaces or Char(160) which is the Required Blank or non-breaking space
    especially if source was HTML which has &nbsp;

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Jay Mac
    Guest

    Re: Cell only shows link in text, not contents of reference cell

    Thanks, David and RD. I appreciate the help.

    Jay Mac

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Cell only shows link in text, not contents of reference cell

    Good, of course knowing what the actual cause and solution was would
    be even better feedback. But I know that each of the solutions have been
    used to solve a similar sounding problem. Sometimes in telling what the cause
    and solution turned out to be you get still more suggestions on avoiding the
    problem in the first place.
    ---
    HTH,